add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 3.1 USB Not Popular?

vadermidwest
  • 33 months ago

My home built PC has two USB 3.1 ports in back that I have never used but wanted to get around to using them in the future. So I decided to go to Walmart a few weeks ago to buy a small USB 3.1 C thumb drive I saw they had. But that day they pulled off all their thumb drives and moved them. I found them in another isle but they had no 3.1 thumb drives. I went to another Walmart (super walmart) and they did the same thing - got rid of their 3.1 thumb drives. I've been checking for those thumb drives the last three weeks and they have not replaced them. No 3.1 thumb drives.

So I'm wondering, is 3.1 simply too new for people or is it that its simply not catching on?

Thanks

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably. I feel like there aren't enough consumer (prebuilt) PCs with a 3.1 port, so flash drive manufacturers probably haven't been putting the 3.1 interface into full production yet. The longer things sit on the shelf, the less they're worth. If manufacturers went into full production right now, they would most likely lose money.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Things like USB standards don't change as fast as things like CPUs do. USB 3.1 only hit commercial motherboards with Haswell, if I am not mistaken, and it still isn't even standard across the board. Few devices (if any) are saturating the limits of the USB 3.0 standard as-is, so I doubt anything is fully utilizing the USB 3.1 standard.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you mean USB Type C or USB 3.1 Gen1 or Gen2?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember there was an article comparing usb 3 flash drives and most of them had no difference when plugged into a usb 2 port compared to a usb3 port.

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

That kind of transfer speed is going to be heavily dependent on the flash drive itself. The port difference only removes one bottleneck.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the point of the article was saying that you need to get a drive specifically made for USB3 to actually leverage the speed benefit of the newer port and most cheaper drives were just USB2 drives rebranded.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

A good point to be making :)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Overpriced? I can go to Walmart and get something like a wireless router for $100, OR I can go to Best Buy and get the same product for $50-100 more. Or I can go to Target and they wont have it at all because their tech section is the size of a broom closet lol

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

normal people

Cause no one was normal before Amazon

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube