add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Themaltake cooler + MSI Board

awilzman

70 months ago

I have this build with a very upsetting problem. My cpu cooler's bracket doesn't line up with the holes on my motherboard (is compatible, I checked other builds). For now, the screws are tightened on awkwardly and diagonally in order to fit. I'm not sure if this is a small mistake on the cooler's part or motherboard's part. I've tried every single position possible with the same results. I made sure the bracket was for my socket. Any thoughts/ideas?

btw: send me ltc ;D LKPLbNULXK9ReAsvTpf66hYEEjTQJYXrye

PROBLEM FIXED: I turned the rubber stoppers that fix the screw on the bracket 180 degrees and they lined up. Turns out the stoppers are offset so I could turn them to make them fit.

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

...screws are tightened on awkwardly and diagonally in order to fit.

Never, ever do that. No screws/fasteners of any kind should be tightened down "diagonally" Suggest that you remove it immediately.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It's been my only option. I've made sure no damage is being done to the board

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Also: I don't know which to replace, the board or the cooler.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

If the mobo lines up correctly with the mobo standoffs of the case, I would suspect the cooler.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

You still might be damaging the screws.

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I installed mine (a pro) last night and it was a PITA. I assume it is teetering on the processor and you are having problems starting the screws??

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Not exactly teetering. Its making contact, it's just that the copper plate isn't in full contact with the processor.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure your rings are correct, the one with the teeth goes on top of the pump (you turn it to line up the teeth) and the ring with the four clips goes on the bottom and the four clips, click into the corners.

To make it (slightly) easier I put on the bracket with the screws (but no pump) into the back plate through the motherboard to make sure everything was lined up (because like you I did not think it did). Once I was sure everything was lined up I made a few marks in the top so I knew which way was up (because I also thought I was turning it as I put it into position.

Last piece of advice is to mount the motherboard into your case before you start shoving everything together, I would hate for you to break it.

P.S. The radiator covers the CPU power connector on the motherboard so connect it before installing it. I made that mistake as well.

Good luck, you need it :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't cover it on my motherboard.. But thank you for the advice! I will make sure to do this!

[comment deleted]
  • 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I will soon take my pump out and see if I can't fix the issue. As Warlock suggested, the standoffs line up, and mobos are created by a machine, so I would assume that it's either the cooler's fault or mine.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't take offense but it's your fear that is holding you back. I spent over an hour on mine last night (the longest part of the build) what you have to do is line up the holes and start one screw, then line up another one and start that. Then it gets difficult, you have to shove really fricken hard (scary hard) to get the last two started, then do what everyone else said and tighten in a cross pattern.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

No offense taken, thank you for the advice I will try to fix this today.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube