add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ethernet Cable fire hazard?!?!?!

nathanbruce11
  • 33 months ago

Would it be a fire hazard to drill a hole in the wall and run an ethernet cable up into the atic and then down into my room??

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 3 points

Make sure though that when you drill a hole into the wall you do not hit any cables/pipes/etc running in there. ;)

There are tools that detect cables/pipes in the wall. Or an up-to-date blueprint can work as well.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a Very Odd Question

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, to someone who hasn't dealt with running cable before I can see how this is a concern.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Instead of just drilling a hole and poking a cable through it, I'd install an actual ethernet jack. But yes, like Cmdr__Tim said, that is common practice and not at all a fire hazard.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

This guy gives the gist of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hx6kroDpd4

I personally see the value in running more than one cable at a time, in which case, you should drill larger holes. There's also something to be said about patch panels and switches, but he didn't mention either of those in this video. Oh, and don't cut the wall with a box cutter. That's just silly. They have drywall knives for like, $10 or less.

Things he didn't talk about that he probably should:

• Cable tester
  • Crimping tool (possibly not needed if you just buy pre-made patch cables)
  • Patch Panel (Because all those wires should lead somewhere)
  • Switch
  • Keystone jacks - he kind of touched on it, but I think more details would be nice
  • Fish tape - might be necessary if you need the wire to go up or sideways

Anyway, there are multiple ways to do this, but I believe there is a right way.

Have fun!

• 33 months ago
  • 0 points

As said before...thats how you would run cable, it is low voltage so chances of fire are slim. But that being said, by law in the US and by code you need to use Plenum rated wire. If you are going Cat5e the price shouldn't be that different....as stated get yourself a tester and the tools needed.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube