add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Configuring/Tuning Netgear Nighthawk router

JMak00
  • 34 months ago

Just picked up a clearanced Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900. I am replacing a Netgear wdnr4300. After installing and properly turning on and restarting modem, router, and pc (50ft wired cat to router), I am matching the download speed previously recorded with the 4300 both wired and wireless. Wired is over 100mbps and WiFi at about 50.

However, I "feel" I should be getting better. Feel as in I don't know any better, but...

My PC build is here https://pcpartpicker.com/b/N94CmG.

Mobo is ASRock Z97 Pro3

Modem is Motorola SB6141

Router as noted above is Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 Model R7000.

Questions: Is my mobo or router a bottleneck?

Are there settings I should change on the router to enhance either wired or WiFi speeds?

Can my mobo's integrated networking handle this router's capabilities? If not, I'm not interested in a new mobo, so...how/what can I upgrade in my box to take advantage of the new router?

What other considerations should I have?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Your router is gigabit (wired) and so is your network adapter on the motherboard, so you should be getting close to 800 mb/s. What does your networking situation look like aside from these two components? Any switches or patch panels that might be bottlenecking you? How is your house wired? Or are you going directly to the router with nothing in between?

To me, it sounds like you need to pay for faster speeds from your ISP (if available).

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

My Comcast plan is only at 100mbps, I think...so perhaps I need nothing more other than a better plan if I want faster speeds. No other devices between the pc and the router.

My all-in-one pc is the one running on wifi and I'm getting 50mbps on that and it's probably, at best, got a n adapter in it. Should I consider installing a new adapter on that pc?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, I would definitely suggest upgrading the WiFi adapter on the all-in-one. I'd just get an inexpensive USB adapter.

As for wired, it's a little hard to test if your router is giving you gigabit speeds; but I suppose it doesn't really matter if it is since your ISP connection is capped at 100 mb/s anyway. Which is super common, by the way. I really hate the ISP monopoly going on. Most cities only have two or three providers to choose from, which really doesn't allow for competition very well.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have one in mind? Thanks again.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't, sorry. I could search Amazon and look for the highest reviews, but all my computers are either wired or using the built-in WiFi adapters, so I don't have any that I could personally recommend.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks anyway for the helpful advice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube