add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

End of The GPU Shortage In Sight?

ewhac
  • 34 months ago

PCGamer seems to think so: http://www.pcgamer.com/steep-decline-in-cryptocurrency-market-has-miners-dumping-their-gpus-on-ebay/

So it may be time to add eBay to your shopping rounds. From a quick glance last night, I don't see any precipitous price drops, but it's probably worth keeping an eye on.

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Its the article everyone is waiting for - the inevitable flood. But It hasn't happened yet. This article uses the words 'dumping' and another post earlier this week here used the words 'flooding' but no floods or dumps have happened.

e.g. show me the cheap cards and I'll believe there is a flood.

For new cards, PCGamer are using the Armor rx 580 8gb as an example and show that it's available at an 'inflated' price at new egg for $309. This is not true. this card is not available even at this 'inflated' price. There isn't a flood or dump at the retail side. On the ebay side a the same card just sold for $355 new (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Armor-Radeon-RX-580-8G-OC-New-Sealed-/112478419438?hash=item1a303c79ee:g:CqsAAOSwTY9ZZYzW)

For used cards, I can't see any recent used sales of Armor rx 580 gb on ebay.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i was the one who posted earlier this week and i never stated that they are lower in price. Just stated they are starting to Flood eBay. Which i have noticed increased volumes of used GPUs on the market.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

you are correct. my definition of flood wasn't fair in that I was adding the pricing requirement to the definition. Sorry about that.

My intention was to say I have seen no evidence yet of simultaneous increased availability and prices at or below msrp.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

hey no prob! i just like to get info out to people. I am in the same boat as a lot of the people on here wanting to build a system but dont want to pay inflated prices.

I should be building my around the end of the month to the mid of next month just depends on when i order parts. i might trry to snatch a 1060 6gb if they are available at a decent price then but might have to end up going 1050ti for awhile.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with what ADA has said below.

A subtlety is the rx 580 at 8gb is going to be in more demand from miners for longer than the 4gb model.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube