add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

~$1500 Ryzen Build - Gaming/Some dev work. Currently 1080P but may upgrade in the future.

wlc

30 months ago

(For reference, I'm located in California. When selecting my build, most vendors will collect 7.75% tax. Monitor/mouse/keyboard/OS is all set.)

I posted in the "Create a parts list for me" forum originally, with a vague description of what I wanted. I received multiple good responses that varied pretty wildly, so I decided to spend more time researching why different components were selected. Based on that, I came up with my own build and I'm hoping you can help me. I ended up deciding to go with a Ryzen processor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G8QyPs

I've chosen the Ryzen 7 1700 because of what I read from reviews, and recommendations from others. (An added plus is the cooler, so I can use it for now and upgrade later if I want to OC more.) The main thing I would like help with is the Motherboard/RAM combination. I want to overclock, but I don't need to get every last bit of power out of it. I read good things about the Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard, and it sounds like it can do what I want but isn't high-end. I'm okay with the limitations on ports and such, but I got stuck when trying to pick ram.

I've read the Ryzen processors really do well with a higher clockspeed RAM. Since this board supports DDR4-3200, I've been looking into that. I've seen other builds on here that use lower speeds, and I've read that some people have problems getting RAM up to the advertised speed. I did find people with this motherboard who were able to run this particular ram @ 3200 after a BIOS update. It's not on the official list from the motherboard manufacturer, but I found those ones to be particularly expensive. I don't want the RAM to hold me back, but I don't want to spend a bunch extra to achieve a 1 FPS difference either. I'm having problems researching the RAM because it seems the Ryzen boards were horrible with RAM when they first came out, and it's difficult filtering out what may have changed since they were released.

What do you think about the RAM/Motherboard combination? Do people get speeds slower than 3200 just for the bit of savings, or is there a legit reason? How should I take CAS Latency into account compared to the speed?

Thanks

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I see no problem. In terms of RAM, slower speeds are cheaper, and also Intel chips can't handle high speeds as well as Ryzen does.

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Nice build.

• wlc
  • submitter
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you both. I think I'll pull the trigger :)

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

NO WAIT RIP DONT

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

ha sike, didn't mean to panic you but, on the real though, the 1080 Duke cooler is known to be pretty closed off, so you might get a little higher temps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube