add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is tech more durable now pr in the past?

Captaincow285
  • 34 months ago

Yeah.... I thought this because I just dropped a VHS tape, dropped it as I picked it up, then almost stepped on it after dropping it. (Yes, I'm clumsy). The only other media that I think could survive this situation are SSDs. What do you think?

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 3 points

Inb4 tomtom's HDD story

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Wasn't he the guy who tripped over a coffee table with an HDD, threw it onto a couch but missed and smashed a mirror?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

I mean, look at all the thing Linus from LTT dropped, some of the things aren't broken. I'd say we are progressing greatly.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

He once dropped a whole i7 extreme edition with a GTX 1080 ti test bench.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

He also dropped the Alienware 51 Threadripper, one of his youtube play buttons, the AMD CEO's Ryzen 7, and a whole lot of other expensive stuff.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thing is, yes, hdd's are fragile. But, I actually don't ever damaging any of my hdd's bc of rough handling, just old age and improper use. And trust me, I have handled a lot of my hdd's roughly.

Onto motherboard's and other PCB stuff, yes, they are much stronger than they used to be, in fact that was a mission of a lot of manufacturers and others followed suit.

Old tech can also be pretty surprising i've found in terms of durability.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

You have any opinions on optical disks and floppys?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

What is a VHS tape??

In the past? How far back do you want to go? For one, you need to compare things that are relatively the same. TV's have been around since the 50s. I would say those TVs are more durable than today - but that's because they had to build them so solid and bulky because they were heavy!

A good comparison would be an old 10MB 5.25" full height harddrive to a 500GB SSD. Drop them both from 5ft and see which one still functions - most likely the SSD. In that case, it is more durable that today.

If I were to take a phone from the 70's and drop it vs. a smart phone - both would probably survive, but the smart phone would have far more $$$ damage.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Old tech is way more durable, mostly because the components are much larger and were in many cases designed to be replaced, whilst now you'd go and buy a new one instead of replacing the failed component.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

That's because labor is so much more expensive to have something serviced. Labor to have some mass produced is lower.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean if we're talking really old technology, it really depends. Generally speaking I would say technology has gotten a lot more durable and longer lasting especially since the switch from wax cap capacitors to solid state. The thing is though that cheap crap is cheap crap whether it was built now or in the 60's, and I would say there's a lot more production of cheap components not meant to last beyond their obsolescence now than there was back then but simultaneously there's also more high quality stuff being built now than ever before. So I think it's kindof a mixed bag but generally it's improving as time goes on thanks to components with no moving parts like SSD's replacing ones that do like HDD's.

Also: I think saying VHS tapes are durable is... probably not that accurate. I mean a DVD would have survived the fall too and it's just luck the VHS didn't just shatter into a million pieces. My memory of VHS tapes is generally one of tiny internal components breaking and the tapes being eaten by the VHS player.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I dropped a laptop off of a couch a couple years back and broke the hard drive.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube