add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need Sound Card Opinion

winona78

30 months ago

Hi guys,

I just bought a Mixamp Pro for my Astro A40's that I used with my Xbox One. After hooking them up, I wasn't exactly pleased with the poor quality that I was hearing, considering these are the 7.1.

I was wondering, how much would adding a sound card help with the quality? If it would help a lot, any recommendations on which one I should get?

I really want the best quality I can get out of these. Thanks!!

The Mixamp Pro is connected via USB Port, and then off the Mixamp there is an audio/mic cable that comes out and splits to the tower. From the Mixamp, it has an aux cable that runs to the headset.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Explain poor audio to me. How so? I would normally never double amp but there is imformation on people doing it with good results on the internet. But not with a sound card rather an external amp. Am amp wont really boost the quality but rather slightly increse the A40's abilities. You could try to eq it more to your liking.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

You could consider returning the MixAmp for the Sennheiser GSX 1000. It is a lot better than the MixAmp

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

@Given, Overall, my goal was to get the A40 quality to what I would expect out of $200 headphones. I did buy the sound card, and I was able to get it hooked up through the mixamp and it sounds much better overall. However, I am not sure if it is the mixamp, or the headphones that are the limiting factor.

@Evil, Thanks for the feedback. I should have done my research prior to purchasing the mixamp.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you're happy with the end result thats what matters. I used to use Astro's after I quit using Turtle Beach, big improvement there. In the grand scheme of things after using other high end products across the years Astros are very hollow and distorted sounding. They have great marketing and word of mouth, just like TB does.

I highly suggest in the future (assuming nothing new and spectacular is out) to check out thte Sennheiser G4me ones and zeros, they are unquestionably the best headset I have ever used and then pairing my Ones with the GSX 1000 made them even better. Huge $$$ investment ($400+) but worth it imo if you plan to keep and take care of your equipment for 2+ years.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

What sound card did you buy? Are you using it just for gaming? What is the actual problem are they to quiet, is the bass weak, harsh in the upper mids to highs?

Neither should be the problem there are a few things here. Firstly there is a differance between a $200 headset and a $200 pair of headphones. Every gaming headset I have used has had par or below sound quality in every aspect except maybe bass quantity (not quality). That does not mean you wasted your money though it is a give and take. Once you start looking into headphones and an amp to pair with it them maybe switching the opamp trying out differant ear pads to see how it changes the sound stage or sub bass....... thats when you are going down the rabbit hole and spending deep to get the sound your looking for. With your headset the whole point is to enhance your gaming experiance. Hopefully better positional queues a better feeling of the game it self such as when your shooting one of the milllion propaine tanks that explode into a blast the size of a nuclear bomb. The amp is there to help power your A40's. 50ohms is pretty drivable but some help is much appreciated. Evil's set up may be a bit of an upgrade as far as competitave gaming goes but is not needed to enjoy what you have. If you are not satisfied with the sound of your headphones it could be just that the "headphones". EQing is is one of the only options you have if it is the headphone that is the problem.

One other thing is dsp. DSP is what helps to emulate that 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Some games (Maybe a lot) have there own setting and sound presets meaning some games take over and EQ the sound the way they wanted. This could have an affect on the quality you are hearing as well.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as the A40 and MixAmp go they are pretty solid and not a bad buy. Maybe they are just not for you but hopefully it is just an issue with your amp or somthing else.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up going with the Asus Xonar DG. I did putz with the EQ on the program that comes with the Xonar DG and I am definitely much more satisfied. One of the games I was having difficulty with hearing where shots were coming from was on Battlegrounds. I wanted to deafen/minimize certain ranges and one of the EQ settings more than helped with that. I will have to look up DSP as I am not 100% sure what that is.

Overall though, the sound card was a great improvement though and I can't argue much with the $35 tag attached to it.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

It won't help at all, since the mixamp pulls a digital signal (it doesn't use your MB's integrated dac/amp), and sound cards are made specifically to replace your computer's integrated dac/amp (the thing[s] that your mixamp is already bypassing). All a sound card does is provide alternate analog outs that replace your PC's default ports and provide better quality to whatever is plugged into them (theoretically). But since the mixamp can't be plugged into the analog outs, a sound card won't matter at all.

I have one thing you can try. Go into playback devices (right click the audio icon in the bottom right of your screen), find the astro mixamp, set it to default audio device. Then go into it's properties, go all the way right to spacial sound, make sure that's on none, then go to advanced and make sure your bit depth and sampling rate are set to the highest available option (also check both boxes under exclusive mode). Go to enhancements and check disable all enhancements. Don't just uncheck the other boxes. Windows does some weird **** with your audio unless your check the box to disable all enhancements. Then hit apply and ok.

If that doesn't make it sound at least a little better, you should probably consider returning/selling what you have and getting some audio gear that's actually worth your money (just like turtle beach, astro is an absolute scam).

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

You should also completely max the volume in windows 10 and whatever programs you're getting audio from, and only control volume through the volume knob of the mixamp.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Ahryi. The one benefit that I have is a pretty solid EQ program for the sound card. I can set quite a few different things including individual speaker volume w/in the headset (although I haven't played too much with it).

I do agree though, I debated on going with the new wireless A50's instead of the mixamp to remove the wire mess. Based on the fact that the price tag doesn't match the quality that they should be, I am happy that I didn't go this route.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube