add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 7600k or i7 7700k?

Tankereasy

26 months ago

Running an MSI z270 pro carbon mobo, paired with a GTX 1080 sea hawk, cant decide if I should get the i5 7600k, or spend the extra $100 and get the i7 7700k. I don't mind to spend the extra money, but if I don't need to and the i5 will be plenty of power then I figure I can put that $100 towards something else (like M.2 storage). Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't need it. Unless you're aiming for highest fps you can get. With a 1080 you're either going for 1440p 75+ or 1080p 144+ I hope. The higher the frames you want the i7 will help.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Not exactly what I'm gunning for, I was looking at it if I should spend the extra $100 to get something newer that will stay relevant longer, or if the i5 is good enough to last me a few years

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill say the i5 will last a few years. Games slowly using more cores and threads. It'll still be a good relevant cpu. And since you're not aiming for those high frame rates. Your games will be Just fine.

I also prefer ssd > m.2 most of the time. I take the best price per gb.if you don't do large file transfers and disk access. Speeds faster than a decent ssd wrong matter. 100$ can get you a 256gb ssd these days. Well worth it.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I was wanting to run at M.2, but that mother board wont allow you to have the M.2 slot populated and also have anything plugged into the SATA, so im opting for a 250g SSD along with a standard 1TB. Thanks for the info, im just gonna roll with the i5 with some over clocking

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean that it prevents you from using any SATA? Usually, it uses the bandwidth of just one or two of the SATA ports. According to the compatibility filter

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

So if you were to use m.2 slot #1 you will only be disabling one SATA port.

I would seriously recommend the 250GB m.2 960 EVO for $117.00, MUCH faster Read/Write speeds than conventional SATA III SSD's.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $117.60 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $117.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-30 11:48 EDT-0400
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

ohhhhh ok, that whats I didn't understand, when I read that I assumed it meant I wouldn't be able to plug anything into the SATA ports, so if that's the case id much rather go with an M.2 over an SSD

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

to get something newer

The i5 7600k and i7 7700k are the same age.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't know that, I just assumed the i5 is a bit older

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

If this pc is only for gaming, then go with the i5, but if you do stuff like streaming, video editing, school, etc, on this pc then go with i7.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just asking because I don't know, but why should I go with the i7 if im using it for more than just gaming?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

The i7 has stronger faster cores than the i5, but the i5 still has enough power to game comfortably, (even more so if you are OCing.) but if you are doing stuff like 3d models and streaming and stuff, the i5 probably just will not be enough power.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

A 7600k is a good chip, and if you decide to overclock it, it will most likely carry you for years to come. The 7700k, however, will be very helpful if you do streaming (of course, ryzen is a better choice for streaming according to all those youtubers and reviews), but if you plan on streaming a lot, you're better of with a 7700k. However, if you're just here to game and do school work, I believe you can probably save that $100/ spend it on other stuff. It will also depend on what kind of "school work" you do. If you're just a guy in school typing papers and what not, then the 7600k will be great. But if you need that hyperthreading, like you're working with 3d models, editing videos, game design, etc. Hyperthreading will be nice to have.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

that's my biggest worry, is I want to make sure that the i5 wont outdate within a year, I want longevity out of this build.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, I can't say I've been too impressed with how processors have been growing and evolving, and at this flat rate of processor innovation, it could last you some time, unless someone else believes otherwise...

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the i5 7600k and I like it. It's fast and perfect for gaming. Like others have said unless you want to stream and or do workstation type work the 7600k is plenty for gaming and schoolwork.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you over clock yours?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I have mine clocked at 4.7ghz with 1.213v

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

what mobo are you running? and what temps are you seeing?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the ASUS Z270-A. During gaming I get to the high 60's. My build is on here if you'd like to see it.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

gaming, some streaming, and school work. that's basically it

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

He already Has a z270 motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube