add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build. Please overview part list and also quick RAM question.

ajmalik
  • 31 months ago

Hi all, amazing site here.

I researched everything quite a bit. Hope the build looks OK for my first. Target is definitely mid-level, I don't play any high-end games but I do hit 100fps+ in some older games, hence the 144hz monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d262Ps

My only concern is I don't see the RAM speed (DDR4-2666) listed on the Motherboard (2400 is highest)... Will the RAM sticks downclock automatically or am I going to have issues?

I also plan on putting in the Hue+ lighting system but I can't find it on the site to add it.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/hue-plus

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $197.08 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $102.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $143.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $74.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AORUS Video Card $284.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Focus G (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor $399.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1533.67
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1493.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-10 22:21 EDT-0400
  • The Ryzen 5 line has made Intel's I5 line (currently) Irrelevant. The R5 1600 has six cores and twelve threads and can overclock. The I5-7500 has four cores, four threads, and cannot overclock. The 1600, when overclocked, will beat the I5 in every task, including single core tasks.
  • I know you seemed to have a white theme to the build, but I still feel like this is the board of choice. This B350 board handles a hefty overclock and it's very high quality. ASUS is well known for user friendly BIOS'.
  • Very fast RAM from G.Skill, which seems to have the best compatibility with Ryzen.
  • 500gb SATA SSD and a 3tb HDD. The HDD you chose is very slow, this 7200RPM one will do better. There's also no advantage between M.2 and SATA other than less cables. (Unless you throw NVME into the equation...)
  • GTX 1060, which is considerably faster than the GTX 1050 ti and will be able to handle 1440p considerably better.
  • Chose this cheap, but nice white case.
  • This PSU is amoung the best out there.
  • Chose a different monitor.
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting feedback. Thanks. Let me review and get back to you. Regarding the monitor comment, I am unsure about 1440P as of this moment, I need to see it in person first, since I've been using 1080p for many years.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

It puts more strain on the GPU, and the image looks more crisp and clear. Noticeably so. Either way, minimum 1440p card would be a 1060 if you want to maintain decent frames at higher settings.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi LostElement. Ok, I've thought about your list. Let me give you some background, sorry for the life story.. I am coming from a 9-year old Intel dual core with a crappy graphics card, so the list I had is a major upgrade with the quad core and 1050 TI. With that said, I am going to see if I can visit a local store like BestBuy and see if I can check out a 27 inch with 1440P in person and see if its for me or not. Even if I get stuck at 1080p and not 1440p, I want to get a 144hz monitor because I mainly play (oldschool) CS 1.6 at 100FPS and have never (been playing it 15 years+) been able to leverage above the 60 due to my current monitor (60hz, 1080p, 23 inch). I am building current rig to keep pace with CS:GO or other more modern games to branch away from CS 1.6 a little. Ok also, I've never overclocked. While I'm aware Ryzen is a hot new launch, I figured my last Intel lasted for 9 years, and I'm not a power user who overclocks, so why not get one again. With that said though, do more cores help with 1400P resolution? That is not an area I thought about as I didn't think it's CPU related. I watched tons of videos on Hyperthreading and I am failing to see any real-world scenario for consumer market where additional threads are significantly useful. Lastly, my main SATA 512GB WD M.2 SSD is an NVME, btw.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I watched tons of videos on Hyperthreading and I am failing to see any real-world scenario for consumer market where additional threads are significantly useful.

Because games will start using those extra cores and threads more same with other programs and such

...do more cores help with 1400P resolution?

No, that's GPU dependent.

Ok also, I've never overclocked.

It's very easy with Ryzen and it's not harmful to the CPU despite what others may say. It's basically free perfomance.

While I'm aware Ryzen is a hot new launch, I figured my last Intel lasted for 9 years, and I'm not a power user who overclocks, so why not get one again.

Because Ryzen has made the I5 irrelevant. Offering better performance for less cash.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

It also has 6 cores while the i5 has 4, it should outperform I'd hope :) -- Anyways, I'm gonna play with my build based on your feedback and evaluate a 1060 for the monitor I want. I will also think about Ryzen. Wouldn't you agree though Nvidia card will play better with an Intel CPU/chipset and vice versa (Except that Radeon's are super overpriced atm)? That's one more factor I don't like about the Ryzen/GTX pairing aside from Ryzen's longevity and long-term performance being virtually unknown at this point considering they just came out.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I do believe that your ram will downclock automatically.

Are you choosing that ram for the color? Because you might as well just get a ram that matches your mobo.

btw: you can add custom parts to your build list. ;)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the white heatsink on them matches on them with the white/silver MOBO and then the white NZXT case.

I will look for an alternative.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't expect to get anywhere near 144 or even 60FPS with that monitor unless you turn settings to medium or the resolution down.

Ideally, you should wait until October 5th for Intels upcoming Coffee Lake CPUs and get the i5-8600k. It will help with getting higher framerates on that 144hz monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $226.09 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Deepcool - CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 153.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard $103.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $134.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $77.34 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card $443.88 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair - CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $39.99 @ Newegg
Case Accessory NZXT - Hue+ LED Controller $44.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor AOC - G2460PF 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor $198.76 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1629.99
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1599.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-10 22:31 EDT-0400
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Thanks for the feedaback. I will also review what you stated.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Why bother with the 1600x when the 1600 can OC just as well?

There are better PSUs out there. Even it's just 40$ right now. These are better units.

Why downgrade to a 1080p monitor?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

He chose a locked chip and board, so I figured he didn't want to OC. When you have a 144hz monitor, the 1600xs higher clocks will help.

Still a solid unit, and is more efficient than the ones you listed.

His concern seems to be with framerate over visual quality. Since he would likely end up playing at an upscaled 1080p anyway if he got a 1440p he shouldn't pay extra when he could re-invest that money elsewhere (i.e. White 1070 vs black/orange 1060)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Efficiency means nothing, and that review is older. More modern PSUs available make it irrelevant. Why do you think the NEX isn't a good choice? Because it's outdated, just like CSM.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube