add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stuttering/FPS Drops

winona78

28 months ago

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum/place for this, but since most of you have gaming experience, I could use some advice.

Computer Specs - Ryzen 1500x - MSI RX 580 4GB - G.Skill RipJaws V 2400 (2x8GB)

I only play a few games currently, and these two experience FPS stuttering sometimes. First one is Rocket League. Typically this game runs fantastic. But every 15 minutes or so, I'll have a severe FPS drop for about 3-5 seconds, and then it comes back and runs great.

Second, and biggest one is PUBG. I know this game isn't optimized fully, but I think this is not game specs related. I run most of my settings on medium, and I do overclock the GPU with MSI Afterburner. It appears stable, but I may have it clocked too much. This game runs pretty well most of the time, with the occasional ~30-35FPS drops when their are large numbers of people. Usually it is between 60-72FPS. Yesterday when I was playing, I was scoped on a guy and we were both firing at the same time. My FPS dropped and held at 1FPS for 10 seconds. This happened two separate times. It almost felt like my game was on the verge of crashing.

I don't think the two problems listed are correlated, but I am very new to the PC gaming world and I am not sure if it is CPU related or GPU related. I can handle the Rocket League issue, but the PUBG nearly ruins the game. Any tips/feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Two things I'd check. First, try running your GPU at stock speeds and see if it stutters. And second, check power draw - do you have a powerful enough PSU for the system?

If neither are the issue, then try to load up task manager when it happens. Look out for what part of your system is under strain (CPU, GPU, hard drive etc) and what program is hogging it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube