add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

You guys like electric vehicles?

TogoViva78999

29 months ago

You guys like 'em?? Is it good for the environment? Tesla's been going on a hot topic on social media nowadays. People started to talk about them. I'm really interested in electric cars. I Just wish Mini have an electric cars.

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 3 points

i love tesla cars. I think they are sick

• 29 months ago
  • 3 points

Tesla's carry a lot of futuristic appeal. People believe they are clean, which in operation yes they are. Electric cars in general are fairly ugly in my opinion. The Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3, Toyota Mirai...other than the Tesla's they are hideous.

Another thing people forget is that the electricity used to charge these does not just come out of thin air. Many people who charge at home are simply moving their energy consumption from crude oil to electricity most likely generated from a coal burning power plant.

According to my extensive research of a single google search followed by clicking the first link I saw, today's gasoline automobiles convert about 20% of their energy created from burning gas into motion. A modern day F1 car is about 45%-50%. Coal fired power plant are at about 33% today, but there is also energy lost in transit on the grid to your home. So whether that distance drops the efficiency to less than or above 20% I have no idea. I have also read about the pollution production of batteries used in electric cars produce as well. I don't have exact figures.

I think electric cars are absolutely the future, no doubt technology will evolve and find a way to make things work better. Formula E is attracting lots of car brands now for factory efforts and R&D for their consumer markets. I think innovations will come out of this series and trickle down to road going cars as Formula 1 has done for years with internal combustion cars. Maybe in the future some combo of electric with solar energy can create an optimal efficiency.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm mostly my country really depends on hydro. Is this good?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the most abundant resource in existence so I think it is a viable alternative, but it is also extremely flammable. So is gasoline though and we use those cars every day so I'm sure advances will be made and the car industries will come up with ways to control hydrogen to make it safer in cars.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

BMW i8 is dope

Also the Fisker Karma

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm saving up for an electric bike. They are amazing!!!!

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't have an electric car, but drove an electric Fiat once. The torque was impressive. Are they good for the environment? I don't think they are any better than what we have now - gasoline engine powered cars. This is not based on facts, just my thinking based on observations and experience in life in general. That electricity to charge up the vehicles comes from your power company. The power company uses either coal burning or natural gas to generate electricity - so that is an impact to the environment. This I did look up: https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.cfm?page=electricity_in_the_united_states

Now there is the manufacture of the batteries. I'm sure there are a lot of chemicals involved in making the batteries, and a lot of chemical waste from that. Yes, making an engine block has a lot of by product as well - so the question would be which is less invasive to the environment? I don't know. Also, when the electric car needs new batteries, what happens to the old ones? Land fill? Processed to make new ones (which means mores chemicals used)? Same goes with old gasoline engines. Again I don't know, but saying the electric cars are good for the environment needs to be restated as: "Are they less of an impact to the environment?" Not sure, but these are questions that I think of whenever this topic is brought up.

When pick-up trucks with the extra large tires and lifted go electric, then you'll know gasoline has either gone away or electric motors have become a better, both power and economical, than gasoline engines. Monster trucks will probably never convert.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't like them in their current state, they need to be less ugly and we need better battery technology for better range. Also I can't imagine they are efficiency as they can get. Also for them to be a lot better for the environment we are going to need to use more renewable resources to generate power. Also better charging infrastructure needs to be in place. Its going to get there at one point in time, the question is when.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I can't imagine they are efficiency as they can get

+1

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not at all a fan of electric cars (or Hybrids).... as they are TODAY.

Several reasons.

1. For anywhere outside a large metropolis they are ineffective as gas replacements. Unless you pay big bucks (which leads me into #2) range isn't going to be very good

2. Cost is far from affordable. Unless you live in Oregon or California (might be one or two other states) which have ridiculous lease packages on all electric cars, they are way to expensive for what they are worth. You are better off @ that price range going with a plugin Hybrid.

3. The hidden cost. They are expensive to maintain unless you live in an area that is adapting fast to the technology. Keeping an electric car charged can be a pricey month expense. When my wife and I were calculating getting a 2016 volt (110 miles max, in city driving ONLY) Our power bill would have gone up about $50 a month. And we have very cheap power here in the NW. In Nevada it would be an extra $150 a month for similar driving conditions.

The idea of an electric car is a good one. To cut out gas and save the environment. But the reality is they are way to expensive for almost all Americans (can't speak for the rest of the world) which makes them very un-economical. When my wife and I decided to get an electric car, we did a ton of research (seriously... like 6 months of non stop phoen calls, emails, web searches...). What we found was a little disheartening. The cost of an electric with the increase in our power bill was far more than just getting a family hybrid and continuing to endure a gas bill, even at a reduced cost. So we decided on going hybrid (and I'm regretting the day I bought that farking car).

When electric cars can get down below $20k and have a range of 250+ miles on a single charge my mind will change.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

$50 increased electric bill is surely lower than your gas costs, unless you are in a weird place with sub $1 per gallon gas and insane electricity prices. I calculated for myself when I lived in FL, and found there that I too would have saved even with an increased electric bill by saving on gas. Even here, where we don't drive as much as we did in FL, we still spend around $150 a month on gas.

The real con is initial cost. The initial cost is still too high for the average consumer, there's just no way around this. It's always been the REAL problem for electric. But at least they are progressing; we have multiple people offering cars starting in the 30-40K range and offering 200+ miles on a single charge. This didn't exist even 5 years ago.

Hybrids are a gimmick imo, I am sorry to hear you're living with the regretful purchase.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Actually lots of people pay less than $50 a month on gas. I drive 600 miles (30 miles round trip a day x 5 days a week x 4 weeks a month) a month for my work commute and at only 27mpg (can get 4 cylinder gas cars that do far better) I pay just about $50 for gas each month consider regular is about $2.30 here.

I agree with your point though.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you'd be coming out about even then ;)

I guess I am speaking from a traffic-bias, where few people are realistically getting 27mpg (my car is rated as theoretically up to 32mpg on highways, but yeah right) as they drudge through walking-speed bumper to bumper traffic.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

i dunno. I sit in traffic for several miles everyday and still come out at 27. Most modern cars will do that. Take 2-4mpg off highway and you have highway + traffic. My fiancee drives ALL city in her matrix and still does 28mpg.

All depends on your car. My honda would do 33mpg in 50/50 traffic highway. My mazdapseed6 did 14mpg highway and under 10 in traffic/city.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

She's lucky. There's one of those at work (Matrix) and the owner ******* non stop about the car. After reading your post this afternoon i asked her what she got mileage wise. She does commute in and outta Portland 5 days a week with a rough 40 mile round trip. Says she gets about 21mpg. Not sure what year it is.

The cars in my family are all basically toys with terrible mileage which lead to looking into electrics and then eventually into hybrids. Before moving down to the Portland area, neither of us had much of a commute so gas wasn't an issue. Now though we both do crappy commutes. If I had a couple of well maintained high gas mileage 4 cylinders I'd have never looked into getting an electric.... or hybrid.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, although power stations use fossil fuels, they are hugely more efficient and cheaper than the engine in your car.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Our gas bill ran about $290 a month and luckily we owned all of the cars at the time. The electric would have saved us gas each month but the monthly cost of the car, increase in insurance, and electric bill would have been more than our old gas. The positive side would have been we would be cutting the gas cord for daily driving, but that wasn't enough to justify a a range of under 100 miles.

With the hybrid (when it's not in the fricken shop) we break even (but a slightly higher insurance). Gas bill is about $40 a month and we've pretty much stopped driving our other cars. It's far roomier than than any of the "affordable" electrics we loooed at so we can use it as a family car as well. Back seats are a good size for our two car seats and the boys. We also have far more room for storage. So it works both as a commuter car where we barely use gas (if at all... wife's got a lead foot), and as a normal family car when we do road trips.

I'm not much fan of hybrids. I do LIKE oure car, just really really really wish I hadn't bought American. I knew better but got such a great deal I was blinded. Hopefully Ford can get their heads out of their arse and fix the issue. If not they'll be buying the car back at full price (thank you lemon laws).

With that said it's very rewarding getting 700+ miles out of a single tank. And there are tricks to extend that range even more. It's kinda become a game for my wife and I. So as much as I'm not really a fan, I get it now that I own one.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah here my GF does almost 50 miles round trip a day, and it's 40+ miles in notoriously bad DC area traffic. She has some flexibility to work from home occasionally though. Lucky me, I walk to work now. When we lived in Florida and had to commute to Tampa together for work, we did over 50 miles a day, 5 days a week.

In this area it isn't unusual for people to have 100 mile round trip commutes, and it is consistently in top ten for worst traffic in the US right up there alongside LA. Electric (or hybrid) vehicles could save everyone a lot at the pump, if the costs of the car itself could just creep down a bit further.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

To my mind the only way it makes sense is if solar charging is in the mix. Right now that part of it runs north of 15k, added to the price of the vehicle it gets to the point that the people that could use it most, can''t afford it. I hope it gets evolved into a viable alternative, it's not there yet.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup.
Yup.
Tesla has been talked about for over a decade, that didn't just start.
MINI is apparently getting in on the game in 2019.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

IMO they currently lack character that you get with a petrol. However everyone will be building electric cars. It's gonna take a while to build the infrastructure for it obviously.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say no if it wasn't for tesla.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it!

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

They are better for the environment than gas cars, but in general our societies obsession with personal vehicles is way worse for the environment than public transportation no matter what the fuel is. The energy and resources used to make millions of motor vehicles for every individual is still going to have a big impact on our environment even if we only made electric cars.

So it's a step in the right direction but if we were serious about reversing climate change we would be heavily investing in public transportation so every person in the U.S. did not feel compelled to own a car. Of course the chances of that happening here is almost slim to none.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Electric is currently not ideal outside the luxury market, but I'm sure it will be ready for normal consumers eventually.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

I like them because their cost/mile is incredibly low

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Only gripe about it is their range you get per charge

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

But it’s getting better

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Even Tesla's? There are several nice cars with electric engines, including several hyper cars.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

What does that mean? What do you refer to as the "most"?

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Nissan leaf was ugly cause it hasn't been updated since 2010. Prius is understandable, but it's a hybrid. Honda Clarity looks just like any other Honda sedan lol. There's a bunch of beautiful electrics, Porsche has one, and same with many other fancy cars.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

BMW i8, Fisker Karma

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 29 months ago
  • 3 points

That's some nice logic. The fuel source totally makes or breaks a car. 100%. No flaws with this logic, folks.

He's not completely wrong, though he didn't say it was the fuel source's fault.

For years, electric cars were the ******* children of the traditional car manufacturers. Ugly designs and typically low high speeds and low range. This perception persists even as innovators work to overturn this image. In fact one of the popular soundbites from the Tesla Roadster days was to show people that you didn't need to compromise on buying an electric car. You could get something attractive, and fast, with good range, and still be electric. The fact that they had to make a point like this shows how ingrained the perception was.

Although things are better now, with more reasonable options from more sources, this still hasn't completely gone away.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand the connection between rush hour and the power grid? If you mean power grid. Are you saying that once everyone gets home they'll plug in to recharge?

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose that could happen since the range is relatively short.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really like them. I feel like they lack the personality or character of a petrol car, if you know what I mean.

100% agree with this. When you put the foot down you'll hear a whine instead of the sound of a turbo whistling or a hefty V8, I don't like that.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube