add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any Warframe fans?

shreder75
  • 29 months ago

Been taking a break from my Dragon Age Inquisition addiction for the past week, week and a half. Tossed in some Mortal Kombat XL in there (love it... not great at it, but I consider a 2 and 1 start to online matchmaking a win for a mongo like me, and the story mode was fun...doing classic towers brings back memories of playing MKI on my genesis! A-B-A-C-A-B-B for blood, don't ya know), and just started the cooler-than-it-looks-on-the-surface Oxenfree (xbox games with gold freebie this month) last night.

Anyway, I saw on Gamingbolt that Warframe is still going strong, and it's also getting a pretty massive expansion sometime this year. I'd snagged it on my xbone when I'd first gotten it in 2014 since it was free to play. I dug it at first, but it wasn't exactly user friendly, so I moved onto other things. Reading up on it some shows that it's gotten a ton of content and improvements over the past few years, so I think I'm going to give it another shot. Been a few years and my memory's a little fuzzy, but it seems like it's a third person take on the Destiny type formula. Loot, raids, exploration, PvP, PvE. Hey, it's free. Can't hurt to re-download and get back into it to see what's up, right?

Any of you folks still playing it?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

A lot has changed since over the years. I had a friend try it on Xbone and he loved how different it was just 2 years later.

After almost 700 hours I've grown a bit tired of the extremely limited endgame but I'm still playing and dying for the open world update. I'm close to my next big log in reward bonus so that has me coming back everyday for now.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't get a chance to play it this weekend. Got caught up in MK XL and finding out that I don't quite suck all that bad at Forza Motorosport 5 =D

So you're saying that you've beaten it and there's not a lot of fresh content to keep you coming back? Then I guess it's a great time for them to be releasing that big open world update I've seen a lot about recently. What do you mean by log in reward? I only played this game very briefly (couple hours, max) when I got my system back in 2014, so I know almost nothing about what it's like today.

And thanks for the info!

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Every 100 days you log in (cumulative not consecutive) you get a big reward. My next reward in about 25 days is a weapon exclusive to the login rewards and its a pretty sweet weapon.

As for what keeps me coming back, right now it is doing the daily missions which are just higher level versions of missions that already exist. They aren't too hard but some of the rewards have a fun RNG quality to them and that's basically what keeps me logging in until Plains of Eidolon, the open world update. There's definitely a lot to keep you busy until you get to the point where I am.

Typing this out I just realized I forgot log in last night because I got caught up playing Divinity Original Sin 2. Oops ha ha.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Goodies just for logging in? I like the sound of that!

can you do the daily missions solo? Or are they like a strike in Destiny, where you need a team?

LOL I can dig that. I have so many games to get through it's not even funny. I want to play Warframe and Path of Exile, but I know they're both huge time sinks, and I haven't even finished playing DA I yet. I hear VERY good things about Original Sin 2, and it does look cool. I haven't played a top down RPG in a long time. The only thing that makes me a little leery about it (other than it's not on console yet, but my guess is it will be considering the first one is on console, and has been for a while) is the turn based combat. I haven't played turn based since Kotor on the original Xbox, and I ended up not liking it all that much. Still, I see that it sways people who, like me, usually prefer real time combat.

but back on topic... looking forward to getting into Warframe. When I actually get the time lol

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm usually not into turn based combat either but thinking of Original Sin 2 as a Dungeons and Dragons game, it helps me deal with it more.

You can do the Warframe daily missions solo, but certain missions are either tricky or tedious alone but not impossible. I've started trying to do entire sets of missions (they come in sets of 3 and you get the reward for doing all 3) solo as a challenge. So far I've done every type of mission solo but certain levels and conditions get me, so I have to go public.

And yeah time is definitely a thing with Warframe. An hour or 2 a day can get you further along than you think though.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

In the age of open world play-how-you-want titles, it seems that Original Sin 2 actually follows up on that to the nth degree, way more so than other games that have tried to sell on that feature. Maybe I'll give the first one a shot one of these days.

Gotcha. I guess that's to be expected from a game like that. Sooner or later you're going to need help, unless you're wayyyyy OP.

It seems the type of game that can be fun in short bursts or long sessions. But it's free, so there's no harm in giving it another go, especially now that it sounds much improved over what I'd played three years ago.

Oh, and so you know, I read an article on gamingbolt a few minutes ago. The WF expansion isn't coming this week. It may be coming next month, but they haven't given a definitive drop date on it yet. Thought you'd like to know!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the old school event mods still OP/worth anything? I haven't played for like 2 years but have lots of that OG stuff that was broken and literally made the game too easy to be fun lol.

I might check the game out again once it hits open world

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The mods from back then were insanely overpowered. Banshee + power strength + power range = everything is completely dead.

Not so much anymore. They're a good starting point. I found that out when I got back from a 2 year long break (from early 2014 when Oberon launched to when Nekros Prime access launched). DE are in a constant state of balancing... sometimes a little too much so. Trinity and Mag have been hit really hard over the years and almost every "press 4 to win" frame has been nerfed into the ground. Nowadays, there really isn't a "one build to rule them all" (I'm looking at you 2014 Saryn) nor anything technically overpowered. I say technically since there is little in the ways of endgame. Once you get to a certain point, all you have is level 100 enemies which you can drop with ease (but they drop you with even more ease), farming for stuff, or fashionframe.

With the mods from the old days maxed out, you start a bit ahead of the average new player but they changed so much its basically a different game. I'd say its at least worth checking out. Some of the new frames are really fun, the newest shotgun to be released is probably my favorite weapon right now, and the wider variety in play styles can keep the game slightly refreshing every few months.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha, that stinks haha.

I quit playing very shortly after Trinity Prime dropped so maybe it would be worth checking out again!

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

While looking for games for my recently finished build (since now I can finally play mainstream games and not just whatever my old crappy laptop could handle, ha), I came across Warframe and decided to give it a try.
All I can say is wow wow wow - and it's free on top of that. Coming from someone who's never been into FPSs or really much of anything recent (I'm usually into racing games or some puzzle things), I was surprised how many different types of missions there are - straight running and gunning is fun, but it's really cool that you can go more into stealth and some strategy.
And not to mention that I finally have a PC that can handle the max graphics settings for most games now at 1080p 60FPS, it's like night and day compared to gaming on a basic laptop.

So some questions for the experienced Warframe players:

• Firstly, I see there's a in-game credit system (Platinum) that can be bought with real money. As soon as I see things like that I generally don't want anything to do with it, but since Warframe is free at first and gives a really good first impression, I don't might spending a couple bucks (I'm used to a ~$20 or $30 dollar game lasting me a few years). How important is Platinum overall? I don't mind grinding for credits and other stuff for a while, just was wondering if getting Platinum is a 'required' thing later on.

• How much of the game is possible solo? I just got off of Earth and am starting Venus.

• I take it the general flow of Warframe is to reach all the planets, and from there try some PvP?

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points
  1. It isn't required at all, but it is extremely tempting. It cuts out the hassle of getting orokin catalysts, focus lenses, and eximus slots, but you don't need plat. It's possible to get all those things in game, it just takes time and a little luck. If you really want to get into it, you can accumulate platinum in game by trading with other players.

2. Most of it... with the exception of certain mission types (like interception) and ones so hard that you practically have to work as a team. Though there isn't much reason to play solo, match making is easy and you can just turn off VOIP, which is basically what I do.

3. Reach all the planets definitely, after that it's basically up to you. I think it's way more focused on accumulating new weapons and warframes, but that might just be what I like.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

like interception

I've solo'd the odd lvl 80-100 sortie interception missions because I didn't have time to deal with the game's server having a heart attack. I've also had to do a lvl ~40 interception solo with a hobbled dragon key for a riven. If you know the right frames and weapons to play in those missions, they aren't impossible or particularly hard. The only stuff you cant solo is absurdly high level stuff (5 hour long survival missions) and the raid missions.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

It's possible, sure, but there's almost never any reason to. I would vastly prefer playing my favorite frames in a 4 man squad rather than be forced to play a specific frame so that it would be possible to solo. Interception missions are just annoying IMO, so even though you can solo them that would be insane because it would mean staying longer than necessary in an interception mission.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. I enjoy playing the frames that can solo interception missions so it isn't as big of a deal for me. As for it taking longer, it isn't much longer or if at all. Once you get all 4 points, it's a matter of crowd control with every now and then you lose a point (which can happen in a 4 player group as well if someone in the group has A.D.D and wanders off or someone gets overwhelmed).

I only bring it up because the original wording made it seem like interceptions were borderline impossible solo.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

900 hours! Fair to say you dig it just a tad =D

Yeah, I saw that, which is what sparked my interest in the game all over again. Reinstalled it on my system earlier today. Probably I'll jump in and start a brand new game sometime this weekend--I didn't play much the first go around, so starting from scratch won't set me back much at all.

Since I have you here, do you run solo, with friends, or both?

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube