add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC build, getting most things for free from friends and parent. Not a demanding gamer, doesn't care about ultra quality and 144fps!

InsertNameHere²

20 months ago

The title is a good TL;DR. This is going to be my first dedicated gaming PC build, and first desktop I've ever owned in my life. I've gotten the i3 2130 and Hyper T2 free from a friend in my high school's "PC Repair / Programming" class, he's a cool dude. I've gotten the 80mm case fan and the DVD / CD drive from the said PC class (yes I still use those), due to them being surplus parts gathering dust. Got the SSD from a friend on Discord as well. Lastly, the motherboard is from my step-mom. She let me buy it using her debit card, due to her appreciating how hard I am working towards getting a job to actually fund the rest of everything!

• I'm getting the 8gb DDR3 ram in a single stick due to wanting upgradeability in the future, and I'm getting it from Newegg because every ram stick I've found on eBay for the same price and capacity, look like green or blue garbage, or are the extremely short sticks.

• GT 1030 due to it being the perfect amount of power for my needs. The most intensive game I will play (and currently play) is BeamNG Drive, which I'm fine with a mix of high and normal settings, and no AA, no biggie. The other games I own and may play are IL2 Sturmovik 1946, GTA SA, and DiRT 4, which are as easy as dirt to run, so I can no doubt have those on max and get 60fps+.

• Fractal Design Core 1000 because, it's cheap, and a great quality case that has great airflow, and doesn't look horrible with a DVD / CD drive in it. Plus it's small, every other case of the same price point is either much larger, or if smaller, is a garbage knockoff case that I would rather vomit in than build a computer inside of.

• The 2017 Corsair CX450w because again, cheap, very good for the price, has pitch black cables and aesthetic, and is 450w 80+ bronze. Great PSU for the money.

• Wireless adapter because, I need wireless. I am not going to pay 20+ dollars for a PCIe one, that to me is just a waste of money. I only have 11mpbs download and 2mbps upload, lmao.

• The HP 22cwa monitor because, it's a damn bargain! 21.5" sized screen, very thin bezels and very modern look, IPS 60hz 7ms display, and again, IT'S CHEAP!

• Lastly, the Logitech S120 speakers. I don't need an overpriced or overkill sound system for the games I play and how infrequently I do play. Plus they're only 11.88 at my local Walmart, it's a deal to me!

So yeah, what do you guys think?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-2130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper T2 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard MSI - H61MU-E35 (B3) Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard Purchased For $46.99
Memory G.Skill - Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $55.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH LP OC Video Card $72.99 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design - Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $43.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On - iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive Purchased For $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN823N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $12.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Cooler Master - R4-S8R-20AK-GP 28.9 CFM 80mm Fan Purchased For $0.00
Monitor HP - 22cwa 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor $89.99 @ Amazon
Speakers Logitech - S120 2.3W 2ch Speakers $11.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $374.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-25 21:52 EDT-0400

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

So I'm guessing by the lack of comments, is this a good build for my needs?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

An RX 460 is generally the same price but more powerful than the 1030, so I'd swap that out

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Last I checked, the cheapest RX460 is around 110 dollars, and I can't do mail in rebates.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that completely removes any hope of building a budget system for myself in the near future... I'll hazard a guess that some Ethereum miners got to the limited stock seeing as they aren't produced anymore :/

Just another thing to note is that monitor isn't great due to its response time. Generally you'll want to aim for 5MS or lower or else you do start to notice input lag. Here's a decent alternative https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BRvZxr/benq-monitor-9hle5lbqpa

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The monitor looks fine just the display itself would leave much to be desired. According to the listing, it's an "LED VA" panel, with 3000:1 contrast, which is kinda crap compared to the HP's full IPS monitor. IMO, 7ms is a perfect response time, none of the games I play warrant needing a higher response time. Plus the HP has really thin bezels and looks great!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube