add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Done with my build. Check it out, Opinions welcome.

ajmalik
  • 30 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zpXQr7

I love everything about it so far. It's a home office/gaming/general PC. ESPECIALLY the monitor, can't recommend it enough in either the 24'' or the 27'' size (I first had the 27'', but way too big for me). It's not so much the 24 vs 27 that's a huge deal, the game changer is the 2k resolution with 144hz, and the Dell prices are a steal.

My only concern is (kind of funny, first world problems) is that it's overpowered for my needs.

I mainly play pretty old games like CS 1.6 and CS:GO -- I will have to pick up a newer game and check out some modern gameplay/graphics.

I was damn near converting to Intel and i7-7700k AFTER I built this (RMA, returns/etc), but then I found out after much in-depth research that at resolutions like 1440p, the R5 series is pretty comparable to the 7700k and for a lot cheaper.

It's at the 1080p level with a decent card (1070/1080) that 7700k absolutely dominates AMD with higher framerates. The higher resolution you go, the more the games become GPU-bound, and less CPU-bound. The Ryzen 5 1600 series at 6c/12t is the better value in this scenario, even when Coffee Lake comes out next week.

The base clock of the 1600 will stay at 3.2ghz for a while, as I've never overclocked a CPU. My ASUS bios does make it easy, and I'd like to keep the stock cooler on there for a while, so in the future I might bump it up to the 3.6-3.7GHZ level, but not now as I'm not even utilizing the current 3.2ghz.

The only thing I kind of regret is the 250GB NVME SSD, 512GB would probably be better in the long run as modern games are like 30GB installs; BUT I plan to add a Samsung 850 EVO down the line which is still SSD (SATA though), and not as expensive. If you can fit it in your budget, NVME SSD is highly recommended, my boot time to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is less than 5 seconds.

Oh, and the S340 elite is one of the best looking cases I've ever seen.

Lastly, I highly recommend a fully-modular power supply like the EVGA G2 or G3 like in my build. I love only having the cables in there that are absolutely needed and storing the rest outside the case.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty solid, friend! I might recommend trying to get a faster HDD (7200RPM) in the future.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I knew that'd come up. This was lying around the house never used, and wasn't a new purchase. Only reason a 3TB 7200 isn't in there :)

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, well then I guess I can't fault you for it. (1st World Problems) XD

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube