add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What are your thoughts on Coffeelake not being backwards compatible with Z270 motherboards and Kaby Lake not being compatible with Z370 motherboards?

Nater650
  • 32 months ago

My thoughts: no upgrade path makes me sad

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 3 points

This has been happening since the modern CPU was made, this is nothing new or surprising. New CPU will need new board. Simple as that.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m not sure why ppl are getting mad about it then

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

They just want to bash Intel because it's Intel.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Except that Z170/B150/H110 compatible CPUs all work with the 200 series boards and vise-versa.

Although yes sure that does seem to be an exception?

• 32 months ago
  • 3 points

And Kabylake is just a refreshed version of Skylake. You can't except changes to happen if you are stuck on the same board. Also the 9000 series will work on 300 boards unless Intel breaks the cycle.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

:(

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess why are ppl mad about this? Intel has been doing this for years!!!!

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

It must be due to certain limitations

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

At least on the bright side all the CPU coolers we have should still fit

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Biggest problem for me is that I built with G4560 on a B250. The new i3s are a very solid upgrade, even the 8350K on my locked board would be fantastic. Especially given the price..... except I can't.

The Kaby i5s are a lot more expensive.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand why coffeelake cannot be used on the previous gens, but I find it kindof odd that Z370 isn't backwards compatible to sky/kabylake. Doesn't really affect anyone but it's still weird.

Personally I hope that intel copy AMD's move to long term support for sockets by changing from a traditional CPU+Northbridge+southbridge to a SOC. It would make upgrading slightly less of a hassle.

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

Only problem with a SoC you can’t upgrrae the CPU since it’s soldered to the motherboard

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

You misunderstand, AMD has the northbridge and south bridge on the CPU package which fits in the AM4 socket. I think this is why they are cabable of long term support for it, because motherboard components that would need to be swapped out for a new CPU are on the CPU die and not the mobo.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Better power consumption and ram speeds. new features for the chips. Z370 they brought a nice 6 core to compete with ryzen. imo if your not happy with intels tick tock methods go to ryzen and feel better about the amount of time. ryzen is a good platform intel and ryzen honestly are close in benchmarks with this coffee lake and the prices are really nice cause last gens where way to high and amd didnt have a good cpu to compete with.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not a secret. Though my confusion would be Canon Lake being a different deal altogether so I reckon this socket will be short lived? Edit: Ok Ice Lake...whatever.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

And the cannon lake will be the upgrade path for Ice Lake users and so on?

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube