add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestions on gamepad for PC

TheLaundryPole
  • 30 months ago

I was looking into getting a gamepad for PC and I see around that the Xbox One controller is the most popular pick, is there any other options worth considering?

I was looking into the Logitech F310 as a cheaper option or a Dualshock 4 since I know quite a number of people with a PS4 and it may help to have an extra controller but I do prefer a plug-and-play approach if possible.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

I variously use wired Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers, mainly because they work out of the box with my system.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I prefer the ps4 controller personally. It connects via blue tooth without much issue. Windows recognizes it as a game controller and I use DS4 to map out the buttons like an xbox 360 controller.

I've always meant to get a newer xbox controller. It has 3 separate ways of connecting it to a PC.

All comes down to preference. What feels best for you.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll be honest, I'm intrigued to try the Xbox controller because I never handled one and most people say that the gamepad is the one thing Microsoft got right with Xbox but DS4 is usable outside of PC at least since there are PS4 I could plug into (not to keen on external mapping though). The logitech one seems good to retro-game but right now the color scheme of my part list is red/black so it would look terrible.

About DS4/Xbox, since they're wireless do I need an external charger or can I use the USB cord to charge them from the PC?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

the usb cable will charge both. Nice feature.

I've been curious about the newer xbox controllers too. I LOOOVED my 360 controller. I bought 2 of the black controllers a couple weeks before their initial launch with the xbox elite 360 via a friend who worked at microsoft. I only JUST retired them this past fall (gave one to each of my boys).

and agreed. very much not into external mapping. But the PS4 controller is so very light weight and sooooo smooth in game I was ok using DS4.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

In the end since I need a PC controller getting a PC tailored one seemed the most sensible choice, it's a bit cheaper too so that's a plus too.

I used DualShock controllers since PS1 so I do know how to handle them, but strangely enough I'd like a Pad that weights a bit more than those.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I used the 360 controller a lot and have handled the one controller many times. The issue with the One's controller is the joysticks for me. They're so easy to move, almost mushy. Not to mention, they seem small compared to the 360's. I cannot aim in any way with the Xbox One controller, but I'm okay with the PS4 in most regards. This is all just my experience of course, I'm no master controller handler.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I Use the DS4 PS4 controller as well as i do not really like the feel/layout of the Xbox controllers. Bought mine at target when it was on sale for 29.99

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The xbox one controller has killer battery life. And from what I understand, the force feedback is much better than the current dual shock. I played on playstation back in the day, and I could never quite get used to where the thumbsticks are.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That or I should invest in a play and charge kit.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a link to the charge kit you use?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Also like the Xbox 1 controller. Works no issues with PC and pretty much most title supports the format out the box. He new versions of the pad also come with Bluetooth so if you have a Bluetooth module will work that way also.

Battery life is reasonable but IMO having them as rechargeable batteries and your all good.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been using an Xbox One pad for about 18 months now. I invested in the Play and Charge Kit and just plug it in whenever I'm not using it. My Gigabyte Motherboard has On/Off Charge so it keeps the controller topped up whenever I'm not using it so it's always ready to go whenever I am.

Can't really fault the pad itself; it's comfortable and, like you say, compatible with pretty much any game out there that'll support a pad. No real reason to go with anything else unless you find the pad itself particularly uncomfortable; I keep looking but there's just nothing out there worth swapping to.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Xbox One / PS4 / Steam Controller are the best options

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I use a dualshock 4 but tbh that's because i grew up playing playstations so it's the most familiar to me. just pick what you think is the most comfortable for you.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The Xbox one controller and the steam controller are both very good, though the steam controller is much better for some games and not quite as nice for some other ones...

I use both, but my main is the Xbox one controller, which replaced my 360 controller when I broke my last one lol... I almost bought the razer version of the 360 controller, but wanted to keep it basic.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

So I've read the comment and I'd say I lean towards trying the Xbox One controller but I need to look into the baytery issue.

I had one Steam controller in my hands once and it felt pretty foreign to me, and I cannot think of games where I'd use that instead of a normal pad that wouldn't work better with a keyboard/mouse combo

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Duelshock 4!! I used a PS3 controller for a while but I felt the PS4 controller and it feels way smoother and better and steam supports it now.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

360 controllers are nice and cheap these days actually. Personally I use 360 controllers for my PC and steam link because I find them so comfortable. And they're all wired as well because batteries are evil.

I guess another part of it is having used the 360 for so long so I'm just used to it, buy why fix what isn't broken?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

The problem with that Xbox 360 controllers is that the D-Pad is Grade A ***.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the Xbox One X controller going to be any change from the original Xbox One's?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube