add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to make sure a overclock is stable

Frostbite11
  • 28 months ago

I want to get a 8700k and oc it to 5ghz but how do I do it and make sure it’s stable. With the kraken x62 there should be enough cooling power I think but how do I make sure it’s stable. And will it even get to 5 ghz

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

You will want to stress test the CPU.

You will want to use something like Asus Realbench which represents a realistic workload, Aida 64, or anything that is very CPU heavy for about a hour or so, that should be more than plenty to make sure its stable, it has always worked for me. I would avoid stuff like Prime95 since its just bombarding the CPU with a very heavy unrealistic workload that will make the CPU run far hotter and harder than it ever really will.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

After benchmarking my overclock for 18 hours i thought mine was stable but windows kept "running into a problem and needed to restart" when just playing games. Just benchmark and play games too see.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What did you overclock yours to, or was it even a 8700k

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

No i don't have a 8700k, i wish but this is what i encountered with my 4690k at 4.7ghz at 1.4v.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok thanks

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

And will it even get to 5 ghz

That is up for the silicon gods to decide (in other words no guarantee)

In terms of stress testing, I personally find a mixed load, so something like ASUS real Bench, Aida 64 etc will quickly show any issues. If they do not, then I leave both running for an hour each. If they pass, a majority of the time the overclock is stable (not always) so dive into some games. Its all personal preference though as to what battery of tests you do however, but on occasions I find using the system as you would normally, play some games etc, can cause issues which a battery of tests running for 24 hours did not.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

So what your saying is I should run benchmarking and stress test for a hour or so and then play games to make sure it all works. And honestly I’ll be happy with a 4.7 ghz overclock because my board I’m planing on getting should have a setting to automatically over clock it to 4.7 as shown in this video due to something called mce.

https://youtu.be/zi-zU2p2ykc

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Everyone has thier own tests and procedures they run though. In my experience an hour or so of heavy testing will usually bring up any overclock stability issues most of the time. After that using it in normal use case will be the main determining factor.

In regards to MCE, its a neat touch initially, but to make the most of the CPU and understand what is going on, I would try to learn how to manually overclock yourself, will pay dividends as usually you will be able to use less voltage or notch the frequency up for a given voltage compare to auto-tuning tools. More often then not those tools will use more voltage then what you could manually achieve to try and achieve stability, not a bad thing per say, but your using more voltage then strictly needed. I expect however 4.7 GHz on all 6 cores with the 8700k should be pretty achievable anyways.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so say for example if I initially use mce to get the 4.7ghz until I learn how to do it myself would that be a good option

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Waiting to buy mine as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

First thing I have to get out of the way:

"an" overclock.

Secondly, you stress test it with a program like Prime95 and Aida 64. Some people don't like Prime95, but in my experience, once you get a CPU to handle it for an extended period of time without failing, it is generally pretty stable. You do need some serious cooling for it though.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I like doing render tests personally. I do video editing as a hobby so the time my CPU is most stressed is during video rendering.

Cinebench is a great tool to use to quickly test your CPU for both stability and performance: https://www.maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/

Generally to check an OC I will first run CB a couple of times and if it passes that then I use Aida 64.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube