add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is anyone else afraid electric and self driving cars will destroy the "Car Culture" that exists around the World?

Chubbby
  • 31 months ago

TBH, I really despise the thought of the majority of the car market being electric, boring, slow and stupid (Imo) cars. I am completely for making areas with large populations, such as large cities, mostly full of government owned electric cars, to reduce emissions and smog in the city, but with places like France and Germany banning gasoline powered cars, I am seriously afraid that the "Car Culture" could essentially get destroyed. In case any of this flew over your head, I am strongly against self driver cars and mainstream(as in more than 50 of the car market is electric cars) electric cars because I am a car enthusiast and there is more to the car than a mode of transportation for me and many others alike. I love comparing cars to others, not just in horsepower or looks aspects, but in how they handle, how they feel to drive, and how they sound. I hope you get my point, now I'd like to hear y'alls.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 13 points

boring, slow and stupid (Imo) cars.

Bruh, you haven't ever driven a Tesla, have you?

with places like France and Germany banning gasoline powered cars

Wrong, they are "considering" banning the sale of new gasoline cars within the country. So you can still import them, drive them, and generally use them the same.

not just in horsepower or looks aspects, but in how they handle, how they feel to drive, and how they sound

You can still do the same with electrics?

When the car was invented, horses were not banned from public roads and nor will normal cars. There may be a certain lane on large freeways for non self driving cars, but generally you aren't going to have them all banned.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Someone downvoted you for some reason. Take an upvote

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Gracias.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

To your first point, Tesla is only 3 of mamy examples of reasonable electric cars. Even then 2 of the 3 models are out of budget for a average middle class family (from what i know). To your second point, in 2040 places in Europe are trying to push and develop plans to remove such vehicles. To your final point, i ask you this, would you rather hear tires against the road, or the rumble of a big block v8....

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

To your first point, true, but thats the thing im afraid of. Frankenstein stuff like electric powered mustangs. To your second point, i suppose you are right, but if countries start bandwagoning woth Europe and outlawing new gas powred cars, whats the point of making gas if their is no market? Obviously that is a very extreme circumstance, but i assume u get my point.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

outlawing new gas powred cars

Already mentioned, that isn't going to happen lmao.

To your final point, i ask you this, would you rather hear tires against the road, or the rumble of a big block v8....

If I'm driving to work, probably the tires. If I'm having fun on the track, probably a Turbo'd F20C.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 4 points

TBH, I really despise the thought of the majority of the transportation market being mechanical, boring, loud and stupid (Imo) cars. I am completely for making areas with large populations, such as large cities, mostly full of cars, to improve sanitation and reduce the need for horse handlers in the city, but with places like France and Germany banning horses from using public roads, I am seriously afraid that the "Horse Culture" could essentially get destroyed. In case any of this flew over your head, I am strongly against all forms of cars because I am a horse enthusiast and there is more to the horse than a mode of transportation for me and many others alike. I love comparing horses to others, not just in running speed or looks aspects, but in how they handle, how they feel to ride, and how they sound. I hope you get my point, now I'd like to hear y'alls.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I only feed my horse unleaded high octane oats.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Good one. You could probably do the same with the telephone.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Letters are good, telephones are stupid and boring, Germany and France are already banning Letters, so IMO they will destroy the "Mailing Culture" and so I am against telephones being implemented, I love writing letters and I love how they feel, they are so much more personal.

Sorry I wrote this on a train so it sounds like crap, don't judge me pls.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Idk why people have to be like this, i was just trying to bring up a valid problem that was on my mind.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The replacement of horses by cars was a valid issue in the 1900's.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose your right.....but you dont have to mock me in saying so.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I just put your words into a different context to point out the flaws in your argument.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

I look forward to electric and autonomous. Car culture won't die though, it will just become a niche hobby(I mean it already is technically). It will go from a niche adjacent to the mainstream, to being a niche leftover from what used to be mainstream. Kind of like horses.

Or building desktops, to be quite honest.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose, but cars are so differant than horses. Horses were seen as a mode of transportation for the most part it seems. Whereas cars are so differant in nature than horses. I hope u kinda got my point lmao

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

XD wait what? You didn't provide a distinction though. Obviously one is an animal and one is a machine, but they are both ('for the most part') seen as a mode of transportation, in their respective eras.

Go talk to some horse owners in this day and age and see if they think their horse is merely a mode of transport now, though. They're like the kind of folks that combustion-powered car owners are going to be in a couple decades.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea that does sound stupid lmao, I was kinda half asleep and typing on my phone is a pain....but yea, I guess for me its gotten to a point were you really can't predict what will happen.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

You can't beat the roar of a V8.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH, I really despise the thought of the majority of the car market being electric, boring, slow and stupid (Imo) cars

Depends on the car... Most hypercars are actually hybrids that use electric motors to add power, and since they are electric and lack mechanical features they deliver power instantly. Hybrid supercars/hypercars would be incredibly fun to drive.

I am completely for making areas with large populations, such as large cities, mostly full of government owned electric cars, to reduce emissions and smog in the city, but with places like France and Germany banning gasoline powered cars, I am seriously afraid that the "Car Culture" could essentially get destroyed.

The sad truth is due to emissions the car culture will ultimately die. But that will take a while. I personally love petrol powered cars and I can't see myself loving a Tesla like I'd love a 1973 Datsun 240Z. Hopefully it doesn't occur during my lifetime but there's nothing we can do about it..

I am a car enthusiast and there is more to the car than a mode of transportation for me and many others alike. I love comparing cars to others, not just in horsepower or looks aspects, but in how they handle, how they feel to drive, and how they sound.

I am in the same boat (or car, in this situation)... I guess we'll have to see what happens.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, we will just have to see.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not honestly think it will. I do think we are going to move forward with the concept of self driving cars, but cars will be grandfathered in, and people are still going to have the classics. Also one way to look at it is this. Those cars that you drive now might go up in value because of it.

I made a horseless carriage comment a while back that explains how i feel about all of this on another thread, but it is to deep to find. But in short, tech is always going to move forward, it will always be scary and there will always be problems and hiccups along the way. Remember when the horseless carriage came out, the horse and wagon was still a more dependable mode of transportation.

It might help the car culture in a lot of ways. A mode of transportation become more rare, will make it more special.

Think about it like this. It would be funny to explain to your grandkids or depending on your age, kids. Why they call that thing a "gas" pedal

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I suppose that is true, but i hope that some automakers will stick with tradition. Unfortunately, from what ive heard, gm is going fully electric in a few years. Hopeful ford and fiat arent going to the same path.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

we will just have to see how the wind blows.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I suppose so....

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The sad thing is, at one point there will only be electric cars. In the UK they plan on banning any diesel or petrol cars by 2040 and I'm sure many other countries will too. It's just the direction things are going. Self driving cars will be a problem, especially for cab/taxi drivers. As sad as it is, I actually support it. Especially with these new roads that they've come up with that charge the car while you drive. Electric cars are the future and there is nothing we can do unfortunately. So enjoy it while you can.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

But like I mentioned before, auto manufacturers are going to need to prepare before the law takes place, whether they want to or not, so it will mostly be before 2040 when we will see an influx of foreign (EU), electric only brands.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope.

We already have the deep pockets street racers with gutted/caged $150k Ludicrous model Teslas on Hoosiers with more batteries and tons of software mods running 8 second 1/4 miles on the street against your standard big turbo LS drag cars. Same guys drive these cars who are the loud mouth street racers who have driven everything from 632 big block tube cars on 3 kits on the street to twin turbo 5 second promods.

The culture is evolving and changing and I think its fine. Its not going to go away, it'll just be different, thats all. Same way it has been changing over the years already.

I think the anti electric car people claiming the "car scene" will be ruined are an embarrassment to car enthusiasts everywhere. Get out of here with that BS.

FWIW I have been in the "car scene" for a decade with everything form big turbo 4 cylinder Japanese cars, to low 9 second American cars and everything in between. Ive had an 800whp fox body, a 550whp WRX, a 400whp mazdapseed6, a 450whp supercharged G35, and many others.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, but I feel like with the influence of other governments banning gas cars from being produced, it could drastically hurt the number of gas cars being made (Of course this is many years down the road).

• 31 months ago
  • 0 points

Thats fine. Technology will advance and in 50 years we will have a flourishing car scene with souped up electric cars. that's how progression works.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH, I really despise the thought of the majority of the car market being electric, boring, slow and stupid (Imo) cars.

And the same goes for the majority of gas powered cars. Sports cars/super cars are really just a small segment of the car market, most people have a car to go them to A to B efficiently as possible.

with places like France and Germany banning gasoline powered cars,

Wat..That is not happening....

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose you are right, but change, it seems usually starts woth the cheaper cars of a automakers lineup, then just works its way from there. To your second point, i saw a news page once that talked all about Europe banning petrol powered vehicles from beong produced in the country.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think there is any other country that has a car culture like the US. And I'm not afraid of it being destroyed. I'm not much of a car enthusiast - I do like a decent comfortable ride (I'm tall, so it can be a challenge in some cars), but otherwise I'm fine with going electric. I drove a Fiat 500, all electric, the torque from 0 was impressive.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

For sure, and like i said before, i am all for economy cars like the fiat 500 going electric, because its that cars purpose. To get good full economy. Its when companies start putting electric motors in mustangs, it not a sportscar any more in my opinion. Or muscle car rather.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not? Isn't the point of a muscle car is to have power to launch it from the starting line with a lot of speed and torque? Does it matter if it is electric or gas that does it as long as the HP is still there?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Culture doesn't get "destroyed" from a shift of ideas. It simply changes.

When popup headlights dissapeared, what happened? Some people really still like it and want it, while the majority could care less

What about the introduction with CVT? Some people clung to their manual systems while some people just don't care

What's going to happen with the wider spread of electric cars? The enthusiasts will stick with their petrol cars, while everyone else will move on. Not to tread on other comments but there are things that are flat out wrong with the assumptions made here.

Self driving cars are eventually going to replace most, if not all cars. But by the time that happens we'll be dead, so it shouldn't exactly matter. The idea with self driving cars is flawed anyway, such as the logistics and laws behind it, and the fact that the only way self driving cars can truly be safe (assuming that their systems are perfect and infallible) is for everyone to own and use a self driving car.

People will trend towards what is easier. Will you see most people who farm use tools such as tractors and large plows? Of course, but there will also be the small gardeners which believe in putting their work into their back and using their hands, with only hand tools to grow their crops.

So what's going to happen? Adoption is going to go down, and the culture will change. But is that bad? Well if you consider that the last 90 or so years the culture has been "changing" would you consider that 50 years ago the car culture back then was bad? Probably not, and so will the next 50 years. Things just change, that's how the world works.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess you are right, but the changes you listed are kinda smaller changes to the culture. They are still around, like you mentioned, but the problem I see with new types of car is it is a more drastic change than something like a transmission. I guess we will just have to wait to see were stuff goes.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Petrol cars aren't going anywhere for as long as we're alive, trust me

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I’m with you, there’s just something about electric cars that I don’t like being a car fanatic myself. It’s just odd to not have a engine noise just the noise of the wheels on pavement and a tiny buzz of a electric engine.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Majority of the car market being electric? I'm not concerned as I don't believe I will be around in the era of persuasion (I hope not). On a positive note, for the future generations (hopefully long before im 6 feet under) they should absolutely be confined to elements which make mother earth a safer place to live in. Now, if governments start passing bills to enforce mass changes...thats a whole different ball game - certainly not a desirable solution for everyone. But who knows, with electric cars the ''mod culture'' won't be far behind.

p.s. SELF-DRIVING! LOL....I don't do piggy backs, might as well ride a bike

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I really hope not, and whats going on with Holden?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn, that sucks :(

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

environmental damage as a gasoline car

Isn't that if you get your power from coal? A majority of my power is clean, but I know that isn't the same as the battery production.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

If we can get gasoline-based (hybrid) cars to push 60mpg, it cancels out

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand, do you mean if they reach a certain fuel efficiency, then they both have parity of environmental impact.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much. Hyrbids over 60mpg have a similar environmental impact to current EVs

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, that's pretty decent. I'm a fan of complete EVs myself. An E Golf with the range of the bolt is a dream car.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Huh, didn't realize that the production of one car battery was close to the amount of damage made by ICE cars. Do you have a source?

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I somewhat agree with what you say, but i am only talking 100 percent electric cars, not hybrids. I personally love high end automakers going out and trying new tech, like the 918, it is just fully electric stuff that worries me.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's the thing i'm worried about. Its the time after 2040. 2050. 2060 and so on. It is still significantly in my lifetime (Assuming I live a healthy life) Of course once 2040 hits (and In theory) the EU starts banning gas cars left and right, (And yes, I know that it will take longer than a month to replace the countries gas cars, unless manufacturers are ahead of the game, and start going all electric earlier ((Which is another concern of mine..)) they are surely going to pressure other countries into doing the same unless we as a planet come up with something to "Re balance" the atmosphere, or do something that makes the tree huggers happy until they stop complaining. But for now, that is my concern.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 31 months ago
  • 2 points

91 Miata (but I’m 15)

You are a homie rn. That's a great car and a great age to want one. I'm 16 and am planning on getting a '94.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

89-97 are for the US. There was a '98 in Europe before the NB body refresh. Yeah, a lot of my friends are supportive of Miatas here. Good luck getting one! You can't beat the look of pop ups.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

i have the exact same thought as you, and a 91 miata is the car i want to have first. i'm getting my liscense in probably a year and a half - two years

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

with heater and other stuff

Literally just break open the window. Or if you are moving, there is a way to stop it manually (Hand brake).

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you seen the google bubble concept car tho? I believe it has no rider controls whatso ever. I may be wrong, but im pretty sure that is the case.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Not only have I see, I've lived around them for years. Waymo has stopped most of em since the past years and gone back to the old school SUVs with gear on top, like Apple and Uber. So what if there was one ugly car? Google isn't going to be a big manufacturer, it's like the Beatle, it's not for everyone.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

That was so BS lmao.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Amazing.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube