add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

"Console Shaming" in PC community: does it really exist?

TheLaundryPole
  • 31 months ago

So I'm exploring PC communities just now and I can see that the opinions on consoles and people that play them are often pretty harsh, often going as far as saying "they deny the truth" which I admit is true to some extent.

Even people that defend them tend to do it with a bit of condescendence, I saw arguments like "people are lazy so consoles work better" but I feel they're only half true.

What I'm interested to hear is if and when these arguments turn into "shaming people" in your perspective.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 4 points

I think it depends entirely on what social groups you're interacting with. The younger you go the more people fight about this kind of thing and the older you go the less said people in question care if you game on console or not. Generally speaking the more mature the community the less this is an issue.

As an adult I can afford both a PC and all the consoles and get to make the decision myself, that makes evaluating them based on their merits a lot more objective. PC's have a lot of advantages, but consoles have their place. Just because I choose to only have a gaming PC doesn't mean I look down on someone else for not making the same decision, that would be silly. There are a lot of reasons to use a console, such as ease of use, the lack of risk that your kids will destroy it by installing a virus or deleting system 32, and exclusive games. If I had kids I'd probably start them off on a console just so they didn't break any of my precious computers.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

The whole "console shaming" issue relates from the whole PCMR meme.

The main idea is: Both are expensive (platform + games), both have their issues on some days, both have immature sections of the community. But at the end of the day, people just want to relax from the pressure of work, school, and life by playing video games, and goofing around with friends.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I suspect this issue is tied to the fact most of the time society teaches people to validate themselves based on how others perform, like in school for example, so they get stuck into thinking there's always a "right way" to do things and they feel the need to prove their way is the right one.

The idea that different things serve different purpouses seems pretty rare in certain contexts.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, you both get it, +1

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

It's from way before memes even existed... Its been a thing since the 80s

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it has a lot to do with this PCMR stuff. I don't really get the whole thing to be honest. I get the benefits of each, but I don't understand why people need to constantly prove themselves right or others wrong on why they chose to buy either type of system. Maybe there is some sort of confirmatory complex to validate one's purchase decision. I really don't know... Obviously someone had a reason to buy what they bought. probably did a quick pro-con, cost-benefit, etc. If you're happy with your PC, enjoy it, by all means. If you're happy with your console, same goes for you. I have each and play each about the same. Just depends on what I feel like playing.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Pc master race only =ok/veri ok. Console only fan that thinks consoles are the best only and pc succs cuz they weak and expensive= not veri ok. Pc master race hybrid (has a big multi monitor rig setup with some ps4/xbone close to it to game even more)= veri ok.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I feel most people nowadays forget that PC building is an hobby and that can be time consuming and maybe consoles are for people that aren't interested in using their time that way.

And to be frank I dare people to say troubleshooting a PC is fun.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Try troubleshooting an Xbox... I'll take the pc any time lol

For every pro a person can list about consoles, there are more negatives compared to pc, which explains alot of why console people get shamed.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I think most people do not need many of the pro the PC has but I admit they exist.

The problem should be always related to the people dissing each other to feel better but this whole "PC vs Console" is getting obnoxious in my opinion.

I would say that console fanboys started this but technically most of the first home PC commercial (talking about Commodore here) were on the line "consoles are ****, buy your children a PC" so this war is as old as the PC itself.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, but back then, a console was like a single game system, like a dedicated pong machine. .. Even the old atari was considered more of a personal computer at the time.

As for console people not needing the benefits... Well a huge benefit is cheaper priced games, no extra cost for multi-player, cheap entry cost for hardware equivalent to console, and much larger game library including compatibility with old games going back to the 80s on a single platform... So I'd say every console gamer could benefit from overall price reductions like that

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube