add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Essex23
  • 30 months ago

Ok...so I will freely admit right now I am just starting to learn about VPN's, primarily because I got a few notices from Time Warner for downloading movies via torrents, something I was always told they have no way to track or bust you for. Guess that source was wrong.

So now I am learning on my own as I search for ways to prevent further infractions that a VPN can prevent a company from tracking my data useage like torrenting. Can someone who knows a little more about this confirm if this is actually true, or give a recommendation for a good, simple, easy to use VPN for home use?

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, using a VPN will prevent your ISP from being able to track what you do online. Basically, all they will be able to see is a lot of data going to and from the IP address of your VPN, but the actual traffic is encrypted. Most VPNs will boast that they do not keep logs so that your data is safe in case the authorities ask them for it.

I personally use NordVPN. Haven't had any issues.

• 30 months ago
  • 0 points

Personally prefer vpn.ac. They've always been fast with servers all over, don't keep logs or any private information. You can pay with bitcoin. You should remove the bit about torrenting since piracy is against the community guidelines.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

He never stated the torrents he was downloading were illegal. Torrenting in itself does not intrinsically break the ToS. There are legal torrents.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

A good example would be if you have a copy of a game... let's say for the GBA and you download a torrent of that game for an emulator. That's an example I have been told before.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

He stated that he got a copyright infringement notice for movies.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

No, he stated that he got notices from Times Warner but said nothing about the specifics of the notices.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the only reason they send notices for.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

As a Time Warner customer myself, I have received notices for even frequenting sites that contain copyright infringing material. Regardless of the legality of the material I was downloading (non-copyright pre-1900 e-books). This just goes to show that the Copyright Alert System isn't perfect, and can throw warnings without infringement. This all being said, I can't say for sure the legality of the material the OP is downloading. But we can't just assume it's illegal, either.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube