add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NO INTEL PENTIUM 4 660 IN PCPARTPICKER? TOO OLD?

MeMePenguinBoi

28 months ago

I have a processor: Intel Pentium 4 660 3,60GHz. (Link: https://ark.intel.com/products/27484/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-660-supporting-HT-Technology-2M-Cache-3_60-GHz-800-MHz-FSB ) And I want to start a new build with the processor I already have, but it isn't listed on this website. Is it too old? Is it just not that good? If someone can, please add it.

Thanks!

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

I've suffered with a pentium 4 for years after it was obsolete and I hope you are trolling...

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably because its literally ancient/a dinosaur....Its going on 13 years old. I can see no reason to add it.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, I think it should be listed too., but on one condition.

Anandtech has a Bench section that compares various benchmarks of may different processors. pcpartpicker could add a section like Anandtech Bench that compares benchmarks and scores of processors. It's fun to compare scores of really old processors and compare them to scores of newer processors. Imagine how the Pentium 4 6600 would compare to a Core i7-4770.

One thing I'd like to see is how the single threaded performance of that Prescott Pentium 4 would compare to AMD's Bulldozer.

You can use Passmark but that's only so good. Geekbench will dock points just because it's named the Pentium 4. That's why I like looking at various benchmarks.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, this website doesn't have every processor ever made. It's on the LGA775 socket, and this site has a list of those motherboards.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that over 10 years might just be a tad too old. That's ancient history as far as PC's are concerned.

As to how good it is, well here it is compared to the cheapest ryzen CPU available and a modern pentium: link

Kinda gets blown out of the water.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

cant find certain 10 year old Xepn processors. Would like to see them as they can be overlcocked to about 4 ghz

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you going to be using it for realistically? What operating system are you going to run it with? Why are you attached to this platform?

You will not find recently produced parts for that old of a processor. You can put together a system with new old stock and so forth...it's probably not going to be worth it beyond just wanting the experience of building off an old platform e.g. retro gaming machines.

Hard to speculate beyond that but perhaps if you are trying to squeeze some life out of an existing computer then...maybe look at going to an SSD. If not gaming then go to an SATA SSD and Linux...that P4 will do real good if it's got plenty of ram.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The P4s with hyper threading really aren't too bad once overclocked

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but ARM is not x86-compatible. They're RISC chips

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I am sporting a Intel Celeron 450, which is 2.2GHz, single core, single thread and I was very upset when I did not see it on PCPP. I feel you mang

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube