add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget CPU choice

vitexo

28 months ago

Hi all, Which CPU is better for gaming?

x5670 with x58 motherboard, which I am willing to OC

or

i5-3570

Both systems will cost me almost the same (i5 is a bit chipper). I play CSGO, DOTA 2 on 1080p but I will be buying 4k monitor and considering upgrading my GPU

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

For esports games, the i5-3570 is going to be the better performer. At stock vs stock, expect ~50% better FPS headroom on the i5 over the X5670.

Sure, the Xeon could be overclocked to close some of the gap, but it will only ever come close while dissipating several times as much power, with a lot more noise spewing from fans to keep it cool.

It's not worth the hassle... especially considering you'd have to be overclocking on an old, already wore out board.

Just get the 3570.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. Can 3570 be OC with z77?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

As I recall, it can be overclocked to 4.2GHZ on many motherboards, perhaps older BIOS revisions may be required in some examples.

It's sort of the "cheat" that the platform had. The turbo multiplier had 4 levels of unused "headroom" above the standard multiplier on non-K chips, that BIOS programmers were taking advantage of to make a sort of "non-k" overclock out of. It would just "force" the CPU to run at the maximum turbo multiplier all the time.

At bare minimum, most non-OEM motherboards worth a darn would allow us to "fix" the CPU to its max turbo speed: 3.8GHZ.

Even without any overclock, it's still a fantastic CPU for eSports gaming performance.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

No experience with either, however:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1307&cmp[]=827

^ That link totally failed.

Also, the i5 is able to use DDR3-1600, and the Xeon is not. The i5 also has Turbo-Boost 2 over 1, if that makes any difference at all.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm, hard to say, but if it's just gaming I would go with the i5. You're not going to get much out of those extra cores for e-sports games with the xeon. i5 has a higher default clock and IPC so it should run things faster.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an x5680 with a P6T Deluxe. It's alright but nothing spectacular. I haven't got around to overclocking it yet. My son tried it with CS:GO using an old GTX 560ti and it did okay but you'd need a better card for a 144hz monitor. We really haven't tested it much yet.

x58 boards still aren't very cheap. The w3670 is almost the same as the x5670 aside from a few differences that you won't use. The w series is Gulftown and the x series is Westmere. Also the x series has a dual set of QPI lanes for dual socket boards. The w3680 and w3690 are supposed to have unlocked multipliers.

I think overclocking a 3570k on a z77, z68, or p67 board would be better. Also, the Core i5-2500k might handle those old game engines better than an x5670, since it has about 10% to 15% higher IPC performance, and the 3rd Gen Ivy parts are 5% higher than the 2nd Gen Sandy parts. Sometimes you can win bids on ebay for cheaper than you can using 'Buy it Now'.

Have you checked craigslist as well?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube