add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power supply advice

Wi1dCard
  • 29 months ago

So I'm building a pc which will run a 1080ti and i7 8700k, and since I don't know squat about power supplies, I can't figure out what to choose.

What I know for sure: I want a fully modular, 80+ platinum unit that will be able to support another 1080ti if I want to add one in the future. I'd like something around the $200 point

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm also in the market to replace my aged AX1200 by corsair. Have you found anything yet?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The seasonic prime that darkhelmet88 suggested seems nice, if you're fine dropping 200w off.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

These days with cpus and gpus being really power efficient I don't need nearly as much power as I used to. I just picked up a EVGA G3 750watt from Amazon for $89.99

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Wi1dCard for a little over $200, i;d pick up a Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w. good brand and even better warranty. 12 years! you friggin believe that???

here;s a link to newegg with all 3 efficiency ratings.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=seasonic+ultra&N=100007657%20600479298&isNodeId=1

as i dont know what your other components are, but i think that is enough for dual 1080ti. use a PSU calculator to find out for sure tho.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

It's just custom loop gear and 300mm of rgb goodness. Thanks!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Why a platinum unit? You could settle for a G3 SuperNOVA. Platinum efficiency doesn't really save more money than gold efficiency. Not unless electricity prices are insane, which in the US, they're not.

But, if you want something that's pure quality and performance,

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nn648d/seasonic-prime-650w-80-titanium-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650td

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=481

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm gonna be moving back and forth between the US and India for some time now and electricity isn't the best in India, so I want the most consistant that I can get (without scraping out my entire wallet)

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

For that you want a UPS. If you get a Gold unit+UPS rather than a Titanium unit, you would spend a similar amount of money but more effectively address your power stability concerns.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I already have a UPS laying around somewhere? so I'm holding off on that. But I did drop to platinum again to save a few bucks.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Given those two parts alone you will be consuming about 354 Watts alone.....adding essential parts like case fans and other parts for storage and RAM and motherboard, you consume about 475 Watts.

You are probably going to need, at minimum, an 850 Watt power supply. If you want ID10T proof PSU, Antec's Edge Series lables the cables for its modular PSU's.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

According to nvidia, a founders 1080 ti uses 403w under load (crisis 3)

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but either way the headroom is quite important. The reason you do not try to get your system's total wattage as close as you can to the rating on your PSU is because it makes the PSU work a lot hraders than it should.

Example: Say you have a system that consumes 300 Watts....and you put a 350 Watt power supply on it, that means the PSU will be working at 90% capacity to provide power alone to the Motherboard and other components. The Ideal minimum capcity use for power supplies is under 50% capacity. That is because the PSU also prevents the motherboard from receiving too much amperage from your household's electricity.

The GTX1080Ti is rated at 250Watts...under normal load by the way. Never go by personal experience in these matters. Just because it worked out for you, may not mean it works out for everyone else...just saying...

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Well say a 1080ti uses 250w, and an i7 8700k also uses 250w. 250+250+250=750 so I'll need something around 850w to be safe.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless the i7 8700K is overclocked via LN2 to like 7Ghz it won't use 250W and another card won't use 250W since SLI doesn't scale linearly so the card won't be able to reach full load in games. It will really use around 580W or so.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the seasonic snow silent is within my budget, and has a ton of voltage to spare. If anything it'll run quieter.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

i still think 1000w is safer, as it;ll only utilize 75% capacity of the psu, vs close to 90% if you decide on the 850w. either way, up to you bro

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I went for the Seasonic Snow Silent because it's 200 bucks, 1050w, platinum, and matches the theme of my build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube