add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing ZorinOS Dual-booted on an old PC

Captaincow285

26 months ago

So.... I've used Linux/Unix-like (discounting iOS, MacOS, and Android, all which are Unix-like or Linux-based) twice before. Both ended in failure.

First up, Rasbian. The slow Raspberry Pi CPU, horrid WiFi and the fact my screen (a TV in a naval installation) was 30 feet away ruined the user experience for me.

Then Debian. It was a pleasant OS to use - until I got into command line issues. Trying to install Java was a nightmare - the Sun Oracle update packs did not have the version I was looking for, so I had to download a tar.gz file of Java. 17 hours after I started the VM, it collapsed into a mass of errors and random strings of java code.

So hopefully Zorin will be better. It comes with WINE, a library that lets Linux run Windows programs. I'm going to use it more often to try to learn how to use Linux at a less steep learning curve. It's dual-booted onto a laptop that runs Windows Vista.

Thanks for reading my ramble!

Comments

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Software > Operating Systems".

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

You might also look at Solus if Zorin doesn't work out. I've not tried Zorin to compare, but I find Solus to be very good and pretty easy to understand.

Personally I've not been a fan of Ubuntu offerings, but my primary experience was with Gnome 3 desktop which I just did not like at all. I hosed my Ubuntu Gnome 3 setup by playing around too much with the terminal, but since then I've come to find out that many have come before me in that regard.

I've done some jumping around and each time I learn a little bit more about the different offerings. Before Solus I was using Manjaro with XFCE and I liked it too but Solus Mate on the same hardware seems so much more polished.

Beyond that I would also recommend getting into VirtualBox and learning how to boot up virtual machines. I'm just now learning about all that stuff and it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Don't know much on the Java stuff to help with that. Good luck.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I used both VMWare and Virtualbox extensively.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube