add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Ryzen to Match with RX 580?

winona78

25 months ago

I think I skimped out a bit when I first bought my computer parts as I was completely new to PC gaming. I have a 1500X matched with an RX 580. Is the 1500x a solid match, or should the cpu be upgraded? What Ryzen CPU is too powerful to pair with the 580?

Possibly upgrading based on responses.

Thanks!

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

What Ryzen CPU is too powerful to pair with the 580?

There is no such thing as a CPU being too powerful to pair with a GPU. The CPU is going to perform as it will perform no matter what.

What resolution are you gaming at? Are you experiencing problems or lackluster performance with your preferred resolution and graphics settings? Have you overclocked?

You have a good setup so there is no inherent need to upgrade unless you are experiencing problems. 1500X is a good chip and RX580 is a good card.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback gorkti.

Current set up is triple monitor, 27" 1080P, 60Hz. Most games I only use the single monitor.

The problem that I have is occasional stuttering and FPS drops. Sometimes it's held for 3-5 seconds (depending on the game). I have tried overclocking with mixed results. Typically the stuttering would get worse. Is there a preferred guide to follow?

Edit: I'm currently using the standard overclock setting in the Bios

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

what games are you playing? Bench your cpu and stress test it. I wouldn't advise overclocking yet. Check for thermal throttling and check to see if vsync is on. Also make sure the games aren't using more than 4gb of VRAM if u have the 4gb edition. If it is 8gb than u should be fine

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Main games: Witcher 3, Pubg (I now play the test server which is 1000x better optemized), Rocket League

Witcher 3 is pretty consistent, PUBG still has it's moments where it can go up to 20 seconds of choppy, and even Rocket League sometimes stutters like crazy during demolitions.

Do you have a preferred stress testing program? I do believe I have vsync enabled. VRAM should be set to 4GB, but I'll have to check.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Rocket league thats strange. Pubg is just badly optimizied. Try turning off vsync for rocket league.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Intermittent stuttering/freezing can be hard to track down. Time to start narrowing sources:

-Have you run a tool like MSI afterburner and witnessed any anomalies in the data when the freezes occur?
-Does the problem still occur when you drop your OC?
-Do you have your BIOS and/or GPU drivers up to date?
-Have you run GPU intensive benchmarking and witnessed it during that?
-How about CPU intensive benchmarking?
-Try taking a stick of RAM out and playing. Problem still there?
-Replace it and try the other stick?
-Do you have an alternative GPU you could try, even if it is old?

As you try these, don't undo your changes. For example, dropping the OC, don't put the OC back on before moving to the next step.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is what I have tried/what I have found...

-Have you run a tool like MSI afterburner and witnessed any anomalies in the data when the freezes occur? I have used MSI Afterburner, but haven't been able to pull it up quick enough to see if anything is spiking. I'll play tonight and try to have my afterburner on my other monitor so I can clearly see changes whent he stuttering occurs.

-Does the problem still occur when you drop your OC? The standard OC from the BIOS has been the most stable. Subtle changes using afterburner has resulted in worse performance.

-Do you have your BIOS and/or GPU drivers up to date? BIOS and drivers are up to date.

-Have you run GPU intensive benchmarking and witnessed it during that? I have used the Heaven benchmarking. I ran it for about an hour and frames/temps were pretty consistent. No stuttering was seen.

-How about CPU intensive benchmarking? I have not done this. Is there a preferred benchmarking test?

-Try taking a stick of RAM out and playing. Problem still there? I will try this as I never see over 8GB being used.

-Replace it and try the other stick? Will try this after the previous test.

-Do you have an alternative GPU you could try, even if it is old? I do not.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say turn the OC completely off and run at stock, as one potential test. The memory test is a good one too, could be a bad stick or bad slot.

I have a temptation to blame the GPU from my own experiences with lockups in games, but because you have run tests on that and not noticed any problems, that doesn't seem like the culprit.

For CPU benchmarking you could run AIDA64 and/or Cinebench and see how it performs, see if any anomalies crop up.

Also are you running off a HDD? What kind/model drive?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it seem visual only and occurs sporadically?

It might be because of frame rate variations. Basically, without adaptive sync features like Freesync or G-Sync, your monitors pushes out a set amount of frames and when your GPU dips below the amount of 60, it results in a visual stutter. Adaptive sync features instead adjusts your monitor to the frame rate of your GPU basically eliminating visual stutters but you can still see the difference when going from 90 to 30 frames though.

Also, Ryzen CPUs perform poorly in PUBG when compared to their Intel counterparts. Despite the latest update to try and utilize multi core CPUs better, Ryzen still falls behind.

As such, aside from your frame rate, you want to check if your RAM is running at close to full usage as well as your GPU and CPU. If they are, they will likely result in frame drops thus causing you to see stuttering.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

It is completely random, even when PUBG was incredibly un-optimized. A good example(when un-optimized) is every now and then, when I would be in a relatively close shoot out with someone, my FPS would drop so bad, that the screen froze. It sometimes would hold the same frame for 5-10 seconds. It was as soon as the muzzle flash went off. The new optimized test server has been much better, but yesterday it was the same type of issue but only with a frame drop. I was playing squads and we were in a small town. A fire fight happened and my FPS dropped to about 10 for 20 seconds or so, down from the consistent 60 I have been seeing. It will also do this randomly when looting small towns too.

Same thing went for Rocket League. Sometimes I'll go 10+ games without a stutter. And then other times it will be a severe drop with every demolition.

I do have Freesync enabled as I have Samsung Freesync monitors. I have checked the RAM usage through control panel while playing PUBG. It is a constistent 8GB. I have 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Rocket League is known to have issues with the Steam overlay and theres well documented steps for that one which might resolve that particular issue.

8GB of RAM out of 16 should be fine. Do you know if your CPU and GPU are running at 90%+ usage then?

Monitors? Are you playing across several monitors?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, I will have to look that up.

I'll update this with CPU/GPU usage when I get the chance, although I am almost positive the last time I saw the CPU usage, it was at like 30%.

The only game I currently play across the 3 monitors is Witcher 3 currently.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Like Gork said, no such thing as the CPU being too powerful - it depends on what you're doing with the system. My system has an R5 1600 paired with an old GTX 750 Ti, because I want to multitask, but I don't care much for graphical quality or FPS in games.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

That is good to know. My system is only for gaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube