add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Captaincow's Chats #2 - Finals

Captaincow285
  • 27 months ago

I made myself a study schedule. Then after one day of strict adherence to the schedule, I ditched it and just studied History, cause I believed that it was my only weakness, and I had the other subjects covered.

Should I have done that? Am I overconfident?

Again, go off into tangents! I expect Tragik to start a few.

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Overconfidence is like assumption, it's the mother of all fuckups. I would at least skim over the content to be sure you know it. You can never study too much. You never know ...there could be something you overlooked.

• 27 months ago
  • 3 points

I agree. I have skimmed over all the material, I'm just wondering about whether I should go in-depth.

What are finals for you like? And does your school do midterms, finals with 6-7 blocks days or finals, finals with 4-block days?

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been out of school for years but when I was in school my parents would always stress "don't be cocky" ie., overconfident of your study's. There's always going to be something that you haphazardly overlooked and that will reflect your final grade in the long run.

I was very meticulous when it came to my grades and even more so when it came to my final grades. I busted my *** studying. While my friends were out partying I had my head buried in a book learning all I could. Yeah there were subjects that I pretty much knew but I still busted my *** studying that subject. You cannot ever over study, believe me when I say it pays off and that final grade you will be most pleased with it when it's all over with.

• 27 months ago
  • 3 points

Mm-hmm. I can especially agree with being happy about the final grade if it goes well. Sage advice.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I expect Tragik to start a few.

How bout that Overwatch League, though?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Overwatch is capitalistic. Mother Russia hates lootboxes.

/s

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What team are you (not) rooting for?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Idk. I never watched the league. I wanted a random comment.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It's pretty good. Not sure if they are playing tonight, but if you have some free time you should check it out.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I also usually made a schedule. I'm speaking about college. Highschool was a joke and never needed to study.

For college I would map out my finals (they tell you the dates and times at the beginning of the semester) so and when I would be studying for each. Never do an all-nighter as it doesn't work. You might pass the test but you will retain like none of the info which will screw you over next semester when the following course builds on the previous one. I would study in blocks. Set aside certain time for each test I would have and never spend too much time on one subject to avoid burning out. I also found that studying far in advance helps a lot too. I would start 2 weeks out, not just cram the night before the tests.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Never do an all-nighter as it doesn't work.

In fact, you will likely do worse.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah very true.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Had to learn this the hard way. Eventually I learned it was best to go back to the old school method of 2-3 weeks of studying (like you said) aided by flashcards the last week to affirm I retained the info.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I used flashcards as well. Doesn't work for everyone though. My fiancee was a re-write all notes type studier in college.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like my wife. She would write pages and pages of notes. I have never been a very good note taker while trying to actually retain the knowledge. I usually just recorded the class and wrote notes afterwards.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Never done an all-nighter.

Was high school easier than you expected?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't expect anything because I had no experience going into highschool. But I can tell you highschool is a cake walk compared to college. I never studied in HS and got a 3.75 unweighted GPA in honors and AP classes and in college I struggled to keep a 3.0 for a while while busting my *** to study.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah.

What college? What major?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a degree in Geological Engineering with a minor in GIS (geographic information systems).

I dont use my degree at all in my job, but i do use my minor to an extent.

I went to WVU.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your current career?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I always started studying a week before any exam, just casually, then a lot the night before. That way I was familiar with all of the material and knew it without having to cram. Finals I did the same thing, making adjsutments based on how difficult I thought each would be, but extended the time out to 2 weeks for any cumulative exam. Good luck

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm one of those guys that walks into a room, falls asleep but still knows everything. That bad?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be once in the working environment lol. I guess use it while you can, but high school and college are the prime times to develop good study habits for the working world.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. School is to help you learn.

That said, what things you learned in school do you use in a daily basis, and what do you wish you were taught?

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

I do use some of the stuff I was taught. Most of my business courses were very helpful. My communications class was useful looking back. Even my business writing class helped a lot. Even though I no longer use them, I really enjoyed all of my science courses as that stuff really interests me and I thought about engineering before going to school for accounting. In a perfect world, I would make college 2 years and cut out all of the liberal arts classes I literally had to take for the sole purpose of fulfilling a requirement for graduation lol. Instead of those I could have used more degree specific courses. There were lots of them I could have taken for electives that I never got to take because I had to take the useless degree requirement fillers. For instance, I wish I had the opportunity to take Auditing 2 because it probably taught a lot of stuff that would be help me study for the auditing part of the CPA exam. But instead I had to take the Philosophy of Art and learn about Kant's theory of whatever lol.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 26 months ago
  • 1 point

And My Gym Teachers for whatever reason gave me full point for 2 days when I was not in schoo

Because it's P.E. lol.

Rip my 91 GPA. All of my classes are in the 70s.

91 GPA? Is lower or higher better? Our GPA was on a scale from 0.0-4.0.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah.

• 26 months ago
  • 1 point

How did your grades drop?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube