add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best cpu upgrade?

crichardson26

22 months ago

Right now I have an i5-6400 and should I upgrade to a i5-7600 or spend the extra $20 dollars or so and get the i5-7600k? Or should I just go for a 7700?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Get an i7. There won't be much of a difference between the 6400 and the 7600 to justify the price.

• 22 months ago
  • 0 points

Actually, it’s about a 30% increase according to userbenchmark

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Like Matsozetex and Superb_Falcon pointed out, userbenchmark is not the most reliable. In tasks such as gaming it is only about a 5-10% increase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFDmzGn7ob0

Even if it was more then a 20% inscrease it still would not be worth buying. The best option is to just get an i7.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It's really up to you, but make sure your motherboard supports whatever cpu you go to buy (will probably need a bios update, so I would recommend you do that when you can), and that whatever motherboard you have will make good use of your cpu (I mean, if buy a k series cpu, make sure your motherboard supports overclocking).

• 22 months ago
  • -1 points

It depends. If you have a z170 motherboard, then I would go for an unlocked processor. Also, what system do you have? If you have a high end gpu, then I would recommend an i7. If you have something more midrange, an i5 should be fine.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a b150m motherboard and for a gpu i have a 1060 3gb

• 22 months ago
  • -1 points

I would recommend the i5 7600. Since you can’t overclock on that mb, it would be a waste to get an unlocked processor. Also, the i7 would be overkill for that gpu

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recommend the i5 7600. Since you can’t overclock on that mb, it would be a waste to get an unlocked processor.

K models come clocked higher out of the box for very little price premium. No Z series motherboard required to take advantage of higher stock clocks.

Also, the i7 would be overkill for that gpu

Doesn't work that way. FPS originates with the CPU. Every frame rendered originates with the CPU. GPU boundedness is always inversely adjustable with visual quality. For all practical intents and purposes, there is no hard performance limit imposed by GPU's. Performance limits are imposed by CPU's, monitor refresh rates, and visual quality settings.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks

• 22 months ago
  • -1 points

He has a locked motherboard, which would mean he couldn't make use of the higher clockspeeds

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

7700K has ~17% higher clock speeds and ~45% more power envelope to operate in right out of the box on any motherboard.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

yes and no... the 7700k still has higher base and boost speeds which the current mobo would run it at. but it wouldn't be able to OC it higher than those speeds like a Z series would be able to.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube