add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mozilla Firefox Quantum vs Google Chrome - a review

Captaincow285
  • 28 months ago

So, I've been a staunch supporter of Google Chrome, while also knowing it's weaknesses - RAM hogging, insecurities, and some mess-ups with my bookmarks bar (The link to "Minecraft Wiki" has the PCPP logo next to it). But I've always liked it for it's involvement with the Google ecosystem.

Now, though, cause of issues with random slow-downs due to a web app I ran on Chrome (long since stopped), I've transitioned over to Firefox Quantum for most tasks. It's faster, and I like it just as much. It doesn't have Google's app ecosystem, but it's private mode is more secure, and it's much more responsive, has a cleaner, less cluttered UI, and.... uses more RAM and CPU than Chrome? Yes, 9 tabs of Firefox takes 6Gb of RAM and 30% of my processing power, compared to 3Gb and 25% processing power for 12 tabs of Chrome. It makes playing games a pain - I have to close some tabs when I need to boot up, say Company of Heroes. But I believe it's worth it. Firefox has become my go-to, while I use Chrome for everything school, cause, well, app integration.

Your experiences with these browsers?

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 4 points

uses, 9 tabs of Firefox takes 6Gb of RAM and 30% of my processing power

Depends on our hardware........I opened up 6 tabs of 4K gaming video's playing all at one time with firefox.

the firefox.exe's (6 of them) used total of 1GB of RAM..........my CPU usage 2-7%

Dont know your hardware, but something is slowing your system down

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, 9 tabs of Firefox takes 6Gb of RAM and 30% of my processing power, compared to 3Gb and 25% processing power for 12 tabs of Chrome.

Yea, this is crazy. I use 6-8GB of RAM while playing Runescape, using MyTube, hosting a PLEX server, and having a half dozen tabs open in Firefox (granted, I don't know if it's firefox quantum).

• 28 months ago
  • 3 points

I love Firefox and have been using it for years. The only thing I do with Chrome is uninstall it when it somehow gets installed on my system.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried FF Quantum on two completely different computers and it just completely bogged my systems down. Chrome on the other hand works seamlessly without any hitches. A good way to test it is have it running then open Task Manager and see how long it takes for your system to respond back to normal. With FF-Q I always had to hit reset on my computer and with Chrome it only took about 10 seconds.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Firefox has always behaved better for me than Chrome anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I use edge with adblockers

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

How edgy.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I've tried both (and edge), they all seem pretty much the same to me... I've got 16GB of ram, so that doesn't affect me, and an R5 1500x... They all seem snappy, but I like the edge layout the most... Ya turn the news feed off, get one of the built in adblockers, and you have a super clean looking browser that does the job just fine...

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I loved Firefox once. Then it didn't keep up with the times, new UI did away with a lot of things I liked, and I ended up ditching it. After Quantum though it has a much nicer feel and performance; while with a small number of tabs open it takes more RAM, each additional tab seems to take less RAM than in Chrome. I haven't switched back yet due to laziness other situations but I could see it being a top contender for me again.

Admittedly my current favorite browser is Vivaldi.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Brave

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Brave is nice.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Love Chrome because of how it looks, the customization and of course the ecosystem that you mentioned. I've never had any issues with it, and I don't multitask enough to have a problem with the RAM hogging; I can listen to music while doing research while Skyping with friends and still play games on max settings lol. Then again, sometimes things do explode.

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

Chrome is amazing, firefox is pretty good, internet explorer is bad, edge is absolutley trash. I like chrome because of the dinosour easter egg and adblock plus.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

uBlock Origin is better than Adblock Plus in my experience. You should check it out.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. It's gotten a lot better than Adblock Plus in the last 6-12 months.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I switched to it years ago when ABP started having companies pay for whitelisting (and thus not being blocked). It runs a lot better as well.

I might have a grudge against ABP now...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube