add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Coffee Lake CPU should I get

crichardson26

22 months ago

For gaming only purposes should I get the i3-8100 for $150 CDN, the i3-8350K for $219 CDN, or the i5-8400 for $235 CDN?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

8600k, or Ryzen. The 8350k is not bad though.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

"Best" performance will depend on overclocking or not and monitor refresh rate.

Leaving stock 8400.

Overclocking 8350k at 4.8ghz or higher will outperform the 8400.

However if all you are running is a 60hz monitor the 8100 will perform admirably and can allow you to move more money into the graphics/RAM budget allowing higher settings or better performance in some cases.

All three have good points in their favor.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have a 144hz monitor at 1080p

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Then ditch the 8100 but what I posted about the 8400/8350k still holds true.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you in Canada? Do you already have a graphics card?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I am in canada and I am looking for a rx 580/570 or a 1060 3/6gb

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The RX 580 is a bit over $500 now and prices increased because of mining (demand).

The 1060 is around $100 or so cheaper. They seem to trade 'fps wins' depending on the game so I think the 1060 is a better 'deal' for the average gamer. I don't know how the driver situation is in Windows as I primarily use Linux.

Anyway, that is my evaluation on the cards.

I agree with the previous posters and just wanted them to clarify and elaborate.

I really couldn't say what is the 'better' deal with the processors comparison as they both have their pros and 'cons' (not really serious but just different positives and negatives).

The i8-8400 is the better gaming chip regardless of how close the Ryzen chip comes but with the AMD chip, you have less to worry about regarding patches (so far)? Also, the Ryzen has more threads. There's certain applications it's better at and there's certain ones, the CL chip is better at. I think it's a 'pick 'em' choice, personally. The other observation, perhaps, is that the CL chip is cheaper by a little bit.

I think most games still depend on the gpu so you might ask those who have these cards and processors for their experiences?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube