add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Coffee Lake CPU should I get

crichardson26

22 months ago

For gaming only purposes should I get the i3-8100 for $150 CDN, the i3-8350K for $219 CDN, or the i5-8400 for $235 CDN?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

What games are you playing? What refresh rate is your monitor? What is your GPU? What is your motherboard? What is your budget? Would you be willing to overclock and invest in a cpu cooler? What case are you using for the PC?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

At least tell us what you're using the computer for. All that other information isn't necessary unless you want us to give you very detailed responses.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I will be playing OW, R6, CSGO, Fortnite. My monitor is 75hz. havent bought a gpu but looking for a 1060 or a 580 once the prices drop. I am willing to overclock. For a case I am using a Phanteks p400 TG

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

At 75Hz I would say the I5 8400 would be the best bet. It has 6 cores and a good clock speed so it should handle that refresh rate no problem. The added cores will give better performance ins some tasks but not all. The I3 8350K when overclocked can be a little ripper but for 75Hz it really isn't needed.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Where I live, the 8350k is less expensive so any other thoughts on that?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I recently did a build with it and it is a little monster. With 4 cores it is comparable to a Kaby lake I5 and it overclocks really well. You will need an aftermarket cooler but a decent HSF will keep it plenty cool and not break the bank. I highly recommend it if you can get it for a good price.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Get i5 8400 it's good.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you could buy a APU in the meantime and upgrade when you can. the APU can run all those games at decent frame rates.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube