add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions about NVME

treloar
  • 27 months ago

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere already...

Is it best to slot an NVMe into a M.2 slot or does a PCI-E card work just as good???

I guess an additional question to ask is whether NVMe boot from both or either M.2 slot and/or PCI-E card and can these be raided?

Which chipsets work best for NVMe???

Which chipsets support booting of NVMe?

Which NVME suffers from thermal throttling the least?

e.g. the intel 760p that uses 50% less power, does it run cooler??? I've heard these run hot, if the aforementioned uses less power it'd run cooler yes/no? Has anyone experimented with the NVMe heat-sinks and cooling options?

How is a NVME best utilized?

i.e for gaming, office applications, browsing the web, reviews on such much appreciated.

Thanks for answering this point, I was up in the air whether it'd be good for games and as a matter of fact I do sometimes move large or multiple files across my home network to a NAS which is my backup location... seems I might get best use of an NVMe in a server.

How would an NVMe go with 3DS Max for rendering?

Thank-you in advance for any help you provide me.

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 0 points

Depends on how much you want to spend, the ssd Nvme cost 50% more than the Ssd 2.5 ". If you want the best performance there is Intel Optane, but it costs a lot, or the Samsung 960 Evo at least 500gb (the 250gb model is disappointing) or the new Intel 760p 512gb that has lower performance but costs less. You can pair a 500Gb Ssd Nvme, where you install the OS, to an inexpensive 2.5 "Ssd sata for storage, like the new 1Tb Crucial MX500, or use a classic cheap 1-4Tb HDD. I recommend a WD Black that costs more but has a warranty of 5 years. Another economic alternative, abandon the idea of using an Nvme, and use a 500-1Tb Ssd 2.5 "SATA and a HDD.

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok to put it simply for everyone get a nvme ssd if you move high amounts of data (or you just want it for a very slight day to day use bonuses). A normal ssd will work fine in most cases but it’s your choice.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 27 months ago
  • 2 points

There is always a difference, we talk about a few seconds but there is. The ssd nvme are the future, let's say it's a purchase in that direction

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 27 months ago
  • 3 points

NVMe can reduce the loading time of games even 50% compared to a Sata, about 30% the startup of the OS, not to mention the time of installation of the games. In many cases the difference is not huge, but it all depends on the type of build, in the enthusiast users a ssd nvme makes sense. Instead for professional use, the difference is enormous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4zdft1HDbY

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube