add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Captaincow's Chats #3 - Why do you go on PCPP?

Captaincow285
  • 24 months ago

I go on it cause it's an amazing site with an amazing community.

I like helping people. Sometimes I help because I have spare time. Sometimes I help because I can do a bit of good in the world. Sometimes, when I feel selfish, I come on to get comment karma, and then realize how stupid I am.

I also like looking at what other people contribute to this society. I'm a bit narcissistic, so sometimes I will go around and just look and enjoy what other people write, and do to help, and realize I'm just an insignificant part of this helping community.

Lately, I've been getting into very political territory here, and started saying random things that I have no rationale for. It's not what I want to do here. Neither is the comment karma gains.

What do you guys think? Why do you guys come here every day?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 4 points

first reason

A long time ago, my inbox used to be blue every time I loaded the page. Sometimes, when I was lucky, that number beside the box was a double-digit one. Over the course of the last year, the times when I loaded up PCPP and my inbox was blue dwindled down to nearly 0% of the time. Interestingly, the times I can see my inbox blue is directly porportional to the amount of general happiness I felt in daily life (less blue = less happy). This endless cycle of sadness was disturbed by my sudden realization that nobody can reply to me if I don't say anything. The problem is that saying things is sorta hard when off topic is a legit freaking ghost-town nowadays (since you love math so much, make a graph. Correlate time with the amount of topics created that day. As you will find, there was a peak somepoint in the last 300 years and clearly went down from there towards present day). Also aided by the fact that I usually don't really think too much about issues presented and i'd probably get shot for my unpopular opinions. The result --> still sad but I actively know that my inaction is causing this, which doesn't really help.

Since then, I've tried to soulager (french verb, it's the best word I have to describe it. If anyone knows a good english equivalent, that'd would be much appreciated) my addiction to blue postal icons with Discord notifs. Qualitative measurements of happiness indicate that they do give me some mild form of excitement and amusement (oh my, somebody cares enough/finds me interesting enough to respond to what I say) but not nearly as effective as blue inboxes. Nowaday I get some blue because I talk a bit more than I used to (by used to I mean like 5 months ago. I don't participate nearly as much as I USED TO as OTRs can tell you....I think....they may have forgotten about me....). Thing is thay nowadays it doesn't feel the same anymore because its really just Haribo and Tragik going "what you just said is factually incorrect/complete ******** because reasons 1 2 and 3".

So I guess I have to accept this now? Accept that those days are behind me, that Discord murdered OT. That I have to invest myself into the Discord in order to feel some semblance of that feeling I used to get....

second reason

Some new topics are made sometimes. I read them sometimes because they're interesting sometimes. The comment sections are also interesting sometimes. I like being entertained.

third reason

I mean, is there REALLY that much else to do? I have no talent and nothing REALLY exciting really happens so...

original reason

I wanted to build my own PC. Been planning for like 2 years. Still not happening any time soon. sigh

second original reason

I started to become known on the forums. Either because they despise me enough to recognize my username or they somehow liked my incessant spam.

notes

• there are a plethora of writing errors in my comment. I apologize for any inconvienience this may cause. For the record this is 100% my fault. Nothing is stopping me from proper proofreading save for my laziness
  • this post isn't aggressive or targeted. Please don't take it as such
  • To Haribo and Tragik, that isn't your fault. It's my ignorance. Have good days, both of you
  • If I give off the vibe of being depressed or having some problem, don't worry about it.

update

I've decided to waste time by listening to music, reading about the Voynich Manuscripts, texting personal friends and finding things on Netflix instead fruitlessly clinging onto the hope that a new blue letter will actually contain something that makes my day like a link to a doggo gallery on Imgur or something

• 24 months ago
  • 5 points

I write a simple answer and then Xorex64 writes this.. geez.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Soulager.... maybe alleviate works in this context? BREAK.... I come here because I'm old and somehow came late to the digital/analog revolution, want a low budget, performance machine and need to absorb a bunch of info because I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Tragik going "what you just said is factually incorrect/complete ******** because reasons 1 2 and 3".

Now I feel bad.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

To Haribo and Tragik, that isn't your fault. It's my ignorance. Have good days, both of you

Please don't

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 3 points

I will just keep it simple and say my main reason

community

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 3 points

Half the reason I still visit the site is because it's what I've done many days since I made my account over 2 years ago, and then lurk the forums. It'd feel wrong to not do so. Sometimes I'll feel like commenting something. The other half is so I can work on whatever my next post will be (currently this one).

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the complementary music!

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I like coming on here because of the atmosphere, it's a pleasant experience and I like conversing with like minded people. I also enjoy helping out others that may not know an answer to something and I do, I enjoy passing that knowledge on. Everyone that starts this trade out has to start somewhere and it's people like us that can help them get to where they're going.

It's funny because this site has been here since like 2010 or 2012 or somewhere around then and I just found out about it back in July and just sort of lurking for a bit and then decided to create an account and design my rig and then I stumbled onto the forums.

Anyways the people are friendly and I enjoy posting with them and even get on Discord ever so often.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Came here to build a PC, stayed for the learnin's and the community.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I first thought that said Lenin's.

Good day, fellow comrade!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Mostly I just like learning. And if I am able to help another person with something, I'll do that as well. Also I use the site to monitor prices, especially if there is something I'm getting ready to purchase.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Similiar to Xorex64 in a way. I used to come on here to comment and just be a part of the community. Now I don't comment nearly as much and my inbox never has that blue number. I think its just that I have gotten burnt. I don't think i will be leaving anytime soon. But mostly i have just been lurking and reading.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Because I have nothing else to waste time on with the school Chromebooks

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Helping the community, community helping me, exploring ideas for PC builds, and of course picking parts.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Unlike reddit, There is no "Human Trafficking"

You sure?

MUHAHAHAHA

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube