add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What do I do? Help!

crichardson26

23 months ago

I have all my parts BUT the GPU. Ive got a i5-8400, 8gbs of ddr4 ram, 500w evga psu, 120gb ssd, 1tb hdd and a msi a pro z370 mobo. The prices are insane for GPUs! Should I wait out for nvidias new cards, buy a 1050ti, or buy a used gtx 970?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's tough, the best thing to do in order to avoid overpaying is probably wait, but obviously you don't want to be on integrated graphics for too long. If you can find a used card that will give you the performance you want at a good price, that may be a good holdover, and then you could sell it to get back at least some of the cost when things normalize. The best prices I've seen recently on new cards is on EVGA's website, but they've been out of stock for a few weeks now, and I have no idea if they're expecting to get new stock anytime soon.

Keep in mind, MSRP for most cards has gone up due to rising memory costs, so don't expect prices to go back down to the original MSRP even after the shortage is over.

Could also be worth checking out nowinstock.net, I've been monitoring 1070s and every now and then one comes across at what I would consider a reasonable price when you factor in memory costs, but you gotta be quick before they sell out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube