add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the VR outlet in my NZXT S340 case for? HDMI port on graphics card?

epiktek
  • 27 months ago

I've read that the VR outlet is for the "HDMI port" for the front panel, but I'm not sure what that means...

According to the manual, it's for the graphics card. My graphics card is an EVGA GTX 1060 SSC. I see a DVI port in the back and a 8-pin PCIE connector for the monitor, but that's about it. So I'm assuming the VR outlet is for more higher end cards like 1070 or perhaps 1080ti??

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

it's just a hdmi port as far as i know I don't think there's a special port

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Its just an HDMI port on the front panel so that your VR device can plug into an easier to access place instead of the back of your video card. Its essentially just an HDMI extension cord.

I believe its long enough to go all the way to the back of the case and plug into any video card that has an HDMI output. (like yours)

The other possibility would be if you had a video card with an HDMI port inside the case, then it could plug into that spot. (like some of the Gigabyte Aorus cards)

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

As I mentioned in the original post, my graphics card doesn't have an HDMI port. It just has a single DVI-D port for the monitor. Even if it did have HDMI in the back, I don't know how the VR outlet would connect to it, since the VR outlet is inside the case and the HDMI in the back is on the exterior.

But I understand the rest of your post. I guess there are some cards that offer HDMI port inside and this VR outlet is for that specific card. I just found it obscure that a case had this plug so I had to ask.

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

according to newegg's pics, your video card has 1 HDMI port in the middle of the 3 DP ports.

I'm under the impression the cable is long enough to route through the case, out the back through an unused PCIe slot, and then plug into the video card. However, this might not be true that the cable is long enough to do that.

edit: There appears to be a small slot that I think is for routing the HDMI cable to the outside of the case for situations like your's. between the mobo and the non-glass side panel towards the bottom of the mobo i/o panel.

http://xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/nzxt-s340-elite-review-an-awesome-choice-for-vr-gamers/

2nd pic under the "design" category.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Holy crap, that is some next gen investigative work! Thank you so much!

I had no idea that was there, because on my card, the four ports (3 DP ports and 1 HDMI) were covered with some kind of cover that I didn't know was a cover... god, I'm such a newb.

And that slot you found in the second pic under "design" category was so hard to find for me. I was like, "What is he talking about???" haha! Thank you!

Another newb question... why are there 3 DP ports? Is this for 3 monitor setups?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube