add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How powerful is the new iMac's cpu (Xeon 10 Core) vs stuff like Threadripper and Core i9/i7 Extreme?

JustAPCNoob
  • 27 months ago

Title

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 5 points

The new iMac Pro is based on the W series Skylake architecture Xeon CPU's.

The W-2155 is roughly equivalent to an i9-7900X. Same core count. Same architecture. Same general platform, however, the W series Xeons support ECC Registered memory (and a lot more of it), where the i9 does not. There are a few other minor differences but for most users they are functionally equivalent.

For all intents and purposes, the new iMac Pro series is sporting top of the line, enterprise/enthusiast/workstation class hardware. They are very expensive, but for the right market, there is value.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks dude!

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Which iMac? Can you send me a link?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

The biggest problem I have found with lots of Mac hardware is they tend to have poor cooling which makes things drop clocks. This can be helped with different coolers and better fans. I would run a stress test and watch your clocks, if you tart thermal throttling it might be a good idea to upgrade cooling. I am not a Mac fan but lots of people like them so might as well get the most out of what you paid for by keeping those clocks high.

Edit: I just realized you have the all in one version so swapping cooling will be very difficult due to space limitations.

• 27 months ago
  • 0 points

I don't think any MAC device is worth anything. They are generally overpriced for what they are. Especially this one. You can build a good Threadripper PC which would utterly crush this PC.

• 27 months ago
  • 7 points

I don't think any MAC device is worth anything.

No other computing solution offers the level of top-down involvement in execution, or the level of elegance in design/compactness, or the ability to be a rebel against the windowsverse without having to deal with linux (which is largely useless for true content creators unless set up by a linux guru for very specific applications only).

You can build a good Threadripper PC which would utterly crush this PC.

The W series xeons in the iMac pro will trade blows with a threadripper depending on workload. The higher end options are equivalent to an i9-7980XE.

Keep in mind, that many of the content creators who would use such a machine, have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of other content creation equipment. These folks don't have time to design, build, configure, and test a computer. When people are working in the industry at the level these computers are targeting, time is money, and a $10,000 iMac is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest.

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably, however, companies don’t want be dealing with individual PC builds so when something goes wrong they have zero support. Then you have a designer/engineer sitting there making $100k a year and doing no work while the IT guy is trying to figure out what’s wrong with his PC. To these companies saving a few K on a single machine means nothing.

For the solo guy/enthusiast build away, but companies buy from dell/Apple/Lenovo for a good reason.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Same, thats what i told him

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 27 months ago
  • 1 point

My dad already bought the mac, I was just curious about the processor cuz ive never heard of it before.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

its not for me boi, when he bought i was like "wtf dad?! gimme the money and let me build a god pc instead!!"

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

If someone told me that they would give me as much money as I needed for a PC, I wouldn't even know where to start. I would have difficulty making a realistic build that even goes above the 3K USD mark... I wouldn't need/want anything more than an R7/i7, since I can't make use of all those extra threads. In addition, SLI/crossfire isn't worth it, so I'd probably only put a 1080 ti in... I'd likely stick with a mid range mobo as well, just because I could care less about super high end OCing. I'd probably stick money into a 1TB SSD, and a 10TB hard drive... Even that is a very high end PC (For me at least), it'd be crazy to stick another 4K USD into a PC... Some people's needs are different though I suppose, so they need the extra horse power :P

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

if someone gave me that I'd just build a $2,500 pc. I'd be happy with that on 1440p 144z

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube