add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I just get a graphics card now

crichardson26

23 months ago

Prices aren't gonna get any better. Should I just buy a 1060 3gb for $350 CAD?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

surf amazon and spam refresh. check nowinstock.net. you'll find one for msrp.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Nvidia are supposed to announce their next GPUs at the end of the month.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont wanna wait until september or something.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Prices aren't gonna get any better.

I dont wanna wait until september or something.

You're welcome.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks?

• 23 months ago
  • 4 points

It sounds like you already decided to get a graphics card and you just came here to have us try and convince you not to.

You're the only one that can decide whether you need a new card or not. Do you already have a GPU in your system? If so, are there any applications that your system is unable to handle specifically due to your current GPU?

If yes, then you need a new graphics card.

If your current card isn't holding you back from completing tasks but you simply want a better GPU, then you have to determine how much that's worth to you.

It'd help if you told us what exactly is in your system and what you're using it for. It's easier to figure the above out if you know what kind of performance increase you're looking at.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I have no graphics card. I'm building a pc right now and I have all the parts but the GPU. Im looking to play OW, PUBG and games like that. My cpu is a i5-8400.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was just reading that they might not be announcing it in March now. Which is probably a relief for me, as I just bought a 1080 in November..

What resolution monitor will you be playing on?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

1080p 75hz

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok, I was going to suggest spending a little more and getting at least the 6GB version, but at 1080p, the 3GB one should be fine.

I upgraded from a 970, which is very similar in performance, and I used to be able to play most games on Ultra at 1440p/60Hz at around 45-50fps, depending on the game.. and that's with an FX-8350 :P

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

If you need one now, buy now. There is a global memory shortage right now, and prices are not predicted to start falling until late this year at the earliest. And from what I've heard the Chinese market is consuming massive supplies right now, definitely not helping the situation with the rest of the world. Also, if GPU demand stays the way it is, the shortage will last at least until late this year. Jay and Jerry talked a bit about it on the last episode of Tech Talk, but basically the graphics card manufacturers are not operating at capacity, but there's not enough memory supply to ramp up production to meet demand.

I'd go with gwchndlr's suggestion and set up alerts with nowinstock.net. Also check EVGA's website, they have bundle deals rotate in and out frequently that have cards at MSRP, and if you need other components, that is definitely worth looking at. https://www.evga.com/products/featured-bundles.aspx Just a note, I don't know if those bundles are only available in the US, if you aren't able to see that you may want to contact EVGA and ask.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

woah, please don't buy a 3GB 1060 for 350...you should be able to get a 6GB at the very least...

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

350 Canadian.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend just getting a R5 2400G APU for now and at Q3 2018 when prices are supposed to go down, you can buy a 1070 with like 400 if the prices are normal

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

prices are supposed to go down in q4 and i already have a i5 8400.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube