add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build (Feedback Needed)

Silent_Assassin

70 months ago

I currently have a 2 year old laptop and this thing is not built for gaming at all so I'm building my first computer. I will mainly be using it for gaming and hopefully some Photoshop and rendering aswell. I haven't included any extras like a keyboard or mouse because I will be getting those later so this is build is focused on the hardware.

Budget: £1500

Build Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Silent_Assassin/saved/2i80

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan

Case Fan: NZXT FS-200RB 89.5 CFM 200mm Fan

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer

Other: NZXT Side Pannel

Other: NZXT Hue

Just some extra info, I can't get wired internet to my computer so I have to get a wireless adapter and I plan on getting a second GTX 780 in the future and I'm not sure if my PSU will be able to support this.

Thanks For Reading

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Just my personal opinion, the cooler is probably more than you need for an intel build. You can get away with something like the Corsair H60. Great motherboard, that's the same one I chose. Probably overkill on the memory, go with 8 gigs and get a bigger SSD. You can probably go down a size on the PSU (750W)also, save a little cash. Intel is not heavy on energy consumption, but I understand with the 780 you want to play it safe. Also, if it is just for gaming, and you do not plan on doing anything like 3D rendering, you can save by getting an i5 (preferably K series).

Also, consider instead of going SLI, perhaps selling your video card and buying the newest top-of-the-line card. I was going to SLI my PC, but the 760 performs so well, there is no need to. I have heard it is better to just keep the newest card in than to SLI older cards. So when I need to, I will sell what I have and put that money towards a new video card. :)

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking about changing the CPU cooler but I probably will end up over clocking the CPU so I want to make sure that it's kept cool. I admit the memory is overkill but I want to future proof my PC and having the extra memory is good for rendering and multi-tasking so that was another reason.

I was tempted by the I5 as it offers very similar performance in terms of clock speed and number of cores but with the benefits of rendering I decided to pick an I7.

The GTX780 does seem to be a very powerful card so I may not need to SLI and I plan on playing games like BF4 on ultra at 60FPS so I need a good card with a reasonable price tag. I have heard lots of good things about 760 aswell.

Thanks For Your Feedback Aswell :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube