add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 7500 vs i5 8400

hhnguyen91

22 months ago

Hey guys, kinda new to cpu's so I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. I know the 8400 is better cause it has 6 cores but i was wondering why the advertised clock speed is lower. The i5 7500 is advertised at 3.4 ghz, while the i5 8400 is only 2.8 ghz. Can someone explain how it's better?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 5 points

That is base clock. Intel turbo boost will kick the speed up depending on how many cores are in use and thermal and power headroom. The I5 8400 is way better than its older counterpart. The I5 8400 has a max turbo of 4 Ghz which is quite respectable. Max turbo for the older I5 is 3.8 Ghz so the coffee lake chip has 2 more cores and threads with a .2 Ghz higher boost clock.

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

The 8400 turbos to 3.8 on all cores or 3.9 on 4 cores, while the 7500 turbos to 3.6 on all 4 of its cores.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, should've specified.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

lol like the name, we are studying julius caesar in school rn

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

Keep in mind that Intel lowered the base clock...Another reason Intel decided to lower the base clock...Intel is being wayy more sketchy than normal.

The last two generations had similar base clocks...
7400-3.0Ghz
6400-2.7Ghz

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

The mental gymnastics involved to call it a "problem" that Intel finally released a worthwhile CPU in the i5-X400 range, are quite impressive.

Are we supposed to want the boost clock to be lower? Or the base clock to be higher but it no longer capable of being run at a lower thermal output? Which of these negative changes would "solve" the "problem" with the i5-8400?

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure what the problem is? You were talking about the base clock being lowered. I was just stating that they have had similar base clocks for three years running.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats TDP?

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Thermal Design Power.

Basically its heat output at stock speeds.

It has no bearing on actual power consumption for either company as they rate it differently.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-core-i5-8400-cpu,5281-10.html

AMD rates its CPU for "X" models at 95w, and uses a temperature offset to force the coolers to run faster as a way of keeping the CPU cooler.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

tdp is heat output not power consumption.

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Ofc go buy i5-8400 because it has the performace of i7 7th gen

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

In gaming i5-8400 has amazing performance like i7 7th gen

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The 7500 use dis way cheaper than the 8400, but choose the 8400 if you can afford it.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The i5-8400 is actually cheaper right now by ~$15-$20. Granted the cheapest X370 board is still more expensive than the cheapest B250 by about $50-$60, but you're looking at a net ~$30-$45 price increase for far greater performance. Far from "way" cheaper.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

It was a typo, instead of "Use dis" I meant "Used is." used 7500 is like $50 on ebay right now.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL oh I see.

Well if we're bringing used parts into this that changes a lot. A quick eBay search shows no i5-7500 for under $75 though, and that one is listed as Defective. Actual bids (which is an irrelevant metric) are starting at $81, and Buy It Now's are $150 or more.

So yeah if OP wants to get a used $150 i5-7500, then that is a noteworthy discount. But then there are already r/hardwareswap posts of i5-8400's for as low as $140-$160.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

These damn naming conventions lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube