add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ensuring You Guys Get The Commission

ewhac
  • 24 months ago

Okay, let's be real here. The Web is full of malicious ****. People who care about maintaining the integrity of their system and/or personal information are running some kind of blocker in their browser. (Personally I use uMatrix alongside NoScript -- the former for fine-grained blocking; the latter for cross-site scripting protection.)

However! In many cases this breaks your affiliate/commission links to the vendor sites. For example, uMatrix ships with a default blacklist that includes anrdoezrs.net, through which you (currently) bounce links to Newegg.

I want you guys get the clicks and the buck$, but I don't want to compromise browser security by doing so (i.e "turn off uMatrix" isn't really a realistic solution). Sadly, uMatrix can't whitelist domains based on the referrer (i.e. always block snoopydrawers.com unless I clicked on a link from myfriend.org to get there). Is there a way to employ some sort of "manual override" or after-the-fact jiggery-pokery to ensure you get the commission?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 4 points

androezrs is from Commission Junction. They're a large affiliate network representing a LOT of different retailers. Some like Newegg, tons of other reputable retailers, and others of less reputable nature. That's how we have to do referrals to them (and any retailers on CJ) - there really isn't a way around it for us.

There are many websites that try various things like cookie stuffing, iframes, etc to harvest affiliate commissions through networks. We try to use the affiliate network infrastructure legitimately and in a way that benefits retailers. But others try to exploit it for their own gain in any way they can. In the end, various blocking plugins target the malicious actors and we get hit by it. It sucks, but it's part of life for us.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your candor on the topic.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I use Ghostery and often when I get redirected it stops the page from loading and shows me the link I'm being redirected to. So when I'm on PCPP I just click on continue, which I assume doesn't affect the commission. If I'm not wrong, then maybe you could try using that?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube