add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I even need a cooler??

Nimrod77

68 months ago

Here is my planned component list, but I see some people building without a cooler. Do I need a cooler or could the money be spent upgrading the video card or case? Thank you in advance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nimrod77/saved/3RUV

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler will work fine if you don't mind a slightly. Louder/warmer pc, also if you are planing on overclocking than you will need a aftermarket cooler to achieve reasonable temps

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Im too much of a caveman to even bother overclocking, im pretty much just gonna turn it on and let it do its thing so no cooler for me, thank you.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, aftermarket coolers are a pain in the butt to install anyway, hope the build works for you :)

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a suggestion about your component list. AMD recommends like a 450-500w PSU to go with the 270x, I think a 650 will be a little overkill. And, if you Crossfire, you may be cutting it close. I'd recommend either upgrading to 750 if you plan to Crossfire, or downgrade to maybe the 520w Seasonic PSU.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm upgrading to a 750, thank you for the help. I need it I am new to this.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

The power draw of your build at 100% load is about 375 watts. You're definitely fine with a 650. If you add another graphics card down the road for crossfire, that jumps to about 555 watts. 650 is still fine, but it's pushing it a little. I'd just stick with the 650, especially one from Seasonic

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You also have to keep in mind that efficiency decreases as you go to 100% load. About 87% for good PSUs

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but he's not at 100% load yet.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't mind more noise or higher temps, the stock cooler will work just fine like casebuilder said

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless there is extreme overclocking the stock CPU should be fine. If you start overheating I would then buy a cooler

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Just my input, but I'm running on a stock cooler while I wait to get a EVO, it's considerably loud while playing games, unless I'm home alone and can play music or game sound loudly, it becomes noticeably annoying (like a mini jet engine).

Try out your stock cooler first, and if it annoys you then it's easy just to buy an aftermarket cooler such as the EVO, a Phanteks on sale or even certain models of the Zalman coolers for cheap.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube