add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
TheIbbyTron

14 months ago

I'm extremely concerned about whether it's a better choice to go with a HSF. I know HSF's aren't as good looking and block a nice view (the look of my PC is really important) but I'm worried as to whether or not an AIO would leak. I can't exactly replace everything in my system if they are damaged from the leak.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

AIOs are pretty much leak proof. Ive never heard of one leaking.

One might fail like the pump will stop. But i dont imagine one ever leaking then spraying all over your components like some crazy child's waving sprinkler.

I think you're pretty safe and theres no need to worry.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Great! What would I do upon the pump failing? Get an entire new one? Could I sell the radiation and fans as a package online for cheap? How long do they usually last?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

You're thinking into it too much.

When the pump fails, you usually get a new AIO. But it should last as long as the PC and most of them have a fairly long warranty.

Just get one that works and fits your aesthetic theme. Don't worry about it. No more chance of failing than pretty much anything else.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed,

Trust me they last a long time. Your build will be obsolete before it fails. Or at least should be. If it does fail before then they are under warranty typically and the company will replace it for you.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks a lot, I'm just really weary especially in regards to money. I might wait for the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R and Smart, especially because of the Asus Aura compatibility,

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Leaks are something that "Can" happen with AIOs, not things that "Will" happen with them. There are pros and cons between AIOs and air coolers and to my personal preference I went with an air cooler. Plenty of people use AIOs and they work great so it comes down to knowing what both can bring to the table and then picking what you think fits your needs best.

AIO pros and cons: They look awesome (most of them), they perform really well, often easy to install, most cases support them, don't have to worry much about motherboard clearance with things like PCIe slots and RAM. They could but not likely at all to leak over the lifetime of the AIO, as the pump is a moving part there is always a chance for it to fail much like a HDD but most easily last the life of the PC, with flowing water and pump noise there are more components to make more noise in the case, they tend to be expensive. If you have a pump failure out of warranty chances are you need to replace the entire AIO.

Air coolers P and C: They often are cheaper, there are much quieter models out for silent cooling, less than can even fail as fans are the only mechanical moving part, if a fan fails you can just swap the fan instead of a whole new cooler, some higher models like the dark rock pro 3/4 and noctua NHD-15 perform as well as AIOs. They can take up a lot of room so case clearance needs to be checked, ram slot coverage and PCIe slots can be compromised by a massive cooler, people don't always like the looks of them but I like the looks of my DRP3, some of them can be much harder to install but is not the case for noctua coolers.

As for space requirements I use the Dark Rock Pro 3 myself and I have an ASRock AB350m Pro4 motherboard. The very top PCIe slot is a 1x slot for a wifi card if I choose to add one but my cooler overhangs that slot. Not an issue for me because I never planned to use that slot but if it was another motherboard where the top PCI slot is the 16x slot for the video card then I might have an issue. I also had to get the Corsair Vengeance LPX memory to fit under the fans of the cooler since the cooler did overhang my ram slots. Not an issue with low profile ram. Also both fans need to fail for cooling to stop but even then you have the thermal mass of the cooler itself. If you want to see what it looks like I got picks on my Ryzen Stealth build.

You do not have to fear using an AIO and there are also great air coolers out there too. Just soo many options to pick from.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't thank you enough for the detailed insight weighing up the pros and cons. Another reason I wanted an AIO was for the visual aspect, they look cool and you can get a better look at my motherboard (which I'm planning to have RGB all over). After some thinking, I'm going for an AIO as of yet

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Well using an AIO is just fine and they do work really well. If aesthetics are important as long as the function is being handled then go for it. I just prefer air coolers myself but as stated before it is due to my own personal preference. I would rather educate on them as there is no one solution for everyone when it comes to what cooler to use.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. You're very correct regarding that and I understand your preference and thank you for the education

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are really going for aesthetics: Cablemod makes sleeving you can put around the tubing of some AIOs.

https://cablemod.com/product-category/aio-sleeving-kits/

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

AIOs rarely leak, but their pumps can fail often.

I would personally stick with a HSF. Nothing can fail except for the fan, and even when the fan is dead, the CPU is still being cooled. With a dead AIO, it’ll just overheat.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube