add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Athlon X4 950

LatiosGaming

16 months ago

To all Athlon X4 950 owners-what is your opinion of this chip? I've seen benchmarks and it's not bad for what it is. I just want to hear from people who own the chip. How does it perform?

Please do not suggest I get another chip, I have a reason for looking into this chip.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 6 points

To sum it up in one word: potato.

I owned the 860K(basically literally the same CPU but on the FM2+ socket). Its awful. It is not a Ryzen CPU, it is based on the Bulldozer architecture which is from 2012. Also its not a true quad core CPU due to its awful architecture. In demanding games it gets around 40FPS at the most to sub 30FPS . Its a $30 CPU at best, its current price is literally highway robbery. A Pentium wipes the floor with it and then some. Please do not buy this abomination of a CPU, it is not the AM4 CPU you want.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 950 is based on Excavator, which yes is a Bulldozer derivative, but is different than the Steamroller architecture used in the 860K.

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

AMD has been polishing the turd over the years but at the end of the day it is still a turd and still performs like a turd.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

A turd’ll always be a turd

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

My wife uses its rough equivalent on FM2+, an A10-7850K with iGPU disabled (HD7850 discrete graphics).

Works fine for web browsing, youtube, billion tabs, browser based games, office applications, mild photo editing, etc.

For CPU intensive games it is pretty aweful. We like to play strategy games like Planetary Annihilation: TITANs. That computer severely limits the system/map complexity and number of units we can allow in a game before it comes to a halt.

Computer upgrades not a huge priority right now but I am looking forward to retiring AMD construction cores in this house.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

To all Athlon X4 950 owners-what is your opinion of this chip?

Low. Picked one up for free from someone who needed to flash a BIOS and performance wise it was no better then the 860K I have in a HTPC and it was beat by my old G3258@4.3ghz.

Provided you are in the market for something that works and doesn't need any performance it isn't bad but compared to what is available in its budget range for new and used its poor at best.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 16 months ago
  • 4 points

They like the taste of potatoes /s

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm having issues with my current build so I was going to buy the chip to make sure the CPU was not the issue and then use it for a guest PC.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm having issues with my current build so I was going to buy the chip to make sure the CPU was not the issue and then use it for a guest PC.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of issues?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Refuses to POST. I've gone through everything and at this point it's either the CPU or board itself.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Boards are tough to kill unless you are updating BIOS.

And CPU unless you were overclocking it or the RAM with excessive voltage is pretty much the same.

That is odd.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The board is brand new. I'm using a 2700X and an X470 Taichi Ultimate.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube