add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Samsung's ties with forest destruction

Realdeal36
  • 23 months ago

Certainly nothing new here, but still something not widely known seeing as nothing has been done since. There has been backlash against Samsung's proposed joint venture with Korindo, a company well known for destroying rainforests for palm oil plantations. Samsung has since cut its ties with Korindo in lew of the outrage but still isn't out of the woods yet. They own two palm oil plantations through a joint venture with Ganda Group, whom, when making way for the plantations, destroyed 150 indigenous people's homes. Not only is Ganda Group responsible for these human rights violations, but they are currently destroying huge swaths of forests in Indonesia, an area known for its tremendous biodiversity.

Here's the article: http://www.mightyearth.org/samsunghangsuponkorindo/

Don't buy anything from Samsung until they cut their ties with Ganda Group and the plantations they own! Or, if you are under the mindset of "one and done", then maybe never buy a product from them again?

EDIT: (taken from a comment I made)

Obviously, judging from more than half the comments, saying "anything" was too drastic. The more appropriate wording, seeing as I'm on PCPartPicker, was to say SSD's. But to some, even this is too much.

So, with that said, anyone who reads my comments and thinks that Samsung's practices should be kept in check, go about it however you want.

To the rest, I was in no way trying to spit you having owned or was thinking about owning a Samsung product, rather just trying to raise awareness on an otherwise unknown problem. But I felt it needed to be said. I hope me relaying this to you has encouraged you to look deeper into matters that aren't readily apparent or looked into.

My comments were with the mindset that there is a bigger picture to all of this and that doing something is better than nothing. But apparently this topic is 50 years too early.

EDIT 2:

After getting a good nights sleep, I propose a different solution. Since some think that by just not purchasing anything from Samsung (with the very small amount of people reading this) won't make an impactful difference, how about we get the STAFF INVOLVED. Have them write a letter to Samsung, threatening them that if they don't drop their affiliation with Ganda Group, they'll tell the PCPartPicker community and their friends and families to avoid purchasing any Samsung labeled product.

Have the staff post something about this topic on the front page in advance so that more people can see it (not everyone goes to this part of the forums). Then, when the time comes, whether the letter is enough to convince them or not, a large amount of people will have cared.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 4 points

I’m sorry sir, but if I want a 960evo I’m going to buy one. I understand that Samsung has ties with horrific groups but in the end they provide a service that I need and I will most definitely pay for it.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

What would it take, out of curiosity, for you to not buy that 960evo that you "need"?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps need wasn’t the best word to use. It would honestly only take about $20 more and I might give up on it.

While I have the chance I would like to say I’ve seen you a lot on the forums. +1 respect my dude :)

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

lol I of course meant what would it take Samsung doing for you to not buy. Like, what degree of horrific event do they need to perform before you are like "ok I'm done here"? I guess the $20 highlights your feelings on the matter though, in its own way, lol

Thanks for the props!

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol, of course. Make sure you have a great day!

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Everything we do, day after day, drive our car, turn on lights, eat food (packaging, harvesting, transporting, disposing) has an impact on our environment. Everything. The fact that I'm writing this reply/post, instead of turning off the computer, has a negative impact on our environment. The only way to avoid this is to live in a cave, use whatever you find in your environment as is, allow illnesses to happen and kill animals with the sticks and rocks you find.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

While this is all technically true, conflating "turning on your lights" with an armed corporate force ransacking and bulldozing a village, pillaging the people's valuables, forcibly evicting the people from their land, and demanding at gun point that the villagers clean up the debris of their own homes that was just destroyed, is disingenuous, cruel, and ******* absurd. Not to mention the deforestation part.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

That information is not readily known or available. When we walk along streets after a rain and see the film of oil in puddles - that is first hand knowledge of the pollution. I'm not disagreeing with you - my point is that unfortunately we don't see those things happening without doing some effort in researching it. Out of sight, out of mind kind of thing. When we drive on the freeways and see the exhaust of some larger commercial trucks billowing smoke, or after the rains in coastal communities and cities and are told to stay out of the water at the beaches for a few days - those are first hand experiences of the pollution. Also when driving through cities and we see smoke stacks pushing out what appears to be toxic clouds, we make the connection with the light switch. See villagers at gun point forced to perform actions is terrible. We don't see those things in our daily or weekly lives - so it is difficult to make a connect of the gun point to flipping a light switch. So I'm not sure why you label it as disingenuous or cruel.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Because this is a forum topic about specific companies and specific events, such as the ones I highlighted, and your response is citing common day things like driving to work or writing forum posts, and concluding "there's just no way to avoid all this unless we go live in a cave". As if they go hand in hand, as if they're equally innocuous or equally severe.

Obviously they aren't (and I don't for a second suppose that you believe they are), but your comment does everyone a disservice by pairing them up.

To make it more clear why this is so ridiculous: suppose you made a forum topic talking about how your friend got murdered last night. Now suppose I came on and said "Hey, I stubbed my toe this morning. Last week, my brother got a papercut. There's just no way to avoid these things unless we all live in a bubble, amirite?"

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Many posts on this site stray from the main point. Conversations can often do that. Saying that one is cruel and absurd is a bit over reacting in my opinion. But that is your opinion and I have mine. Please don't say I'm being rude for posting this. I had not intent to minimize your point - in fact I considered my thoughts to be in the same general concept of harming our environment.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

That's true conversations do stray all the time. I guess since you are replying directly to the post, instead of someone else's comment, I don't see how you make the leap from deforestation and human rights violations to the electricity it takes to power a lamp.

I understand now that you meant it as a separate line of thought only tangentially related to the topic, and in that instance, it makes sense.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 3 points

No, not even close to this.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

You do know they make more than just phones and things with Samsung plastered on them, right?

Just a quick Bing search (Yeah, I use Bing.) took me to their Wikipedia page which says their products include: Apparel, automotive, chemicals, consumer electronics, electronic components, medical equipment, semiconductors, solid state drives, DRAM, ships, telecommunications equipment, home appliances. A lot of their products are bought by large companies and then used in their own products. I think Apple even buys their retina screens from Samsung.

My point is you're going to have to boycott more than just Samsung. Their products are used in many major companies and corporations. If you do go that far in your boycott, what happens if you become ill and have to go to a hospital and for whatever reason your doctor decides they need a CT scan. Are you going to say no because the CT Scanner is made by Samsung? Perhaps that's a bit extreme, but I hope you see my point.

I think a better option would be to write your local congressman and voice your concern. I don't know much about how the government and politics work, but I would think he/ she would be able to bring it up with our UN ambassador.

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Hello fellow Bing user!

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

There are dozens of us!

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

Iirc there’s a Tech company out there like Samsung that makes Tanks. Yes, tanks, like armored vehicles and such lol.

Another example is Hyundai, they’re a car manufacturer but they also make electronics too.

Boycotting mega corporations in this day and age is very tricky, there needs to be a new tactic to tackle things like this. Usually bad publicity and PR that will hit them in the stock market usually can work, but you need people to actually care in the first place.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't buy anything from Samsung until they cut their ties with Ganda Group and the plantations they own!

Agreed. Samsung just lost my business.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I also agree, make sure RAM and VRAM in GPUs don’t use Samsung memory if you want to hop on the boycott train.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung makes a lot of things. Who knows what every-day ordinary devices have parts made by Samsung.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Fridges, TVs, microwaves to name a few are directly made by Samsung. Their DDR3/4 memory is in almost everything else.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

But Samsung makes some of the best memory :(

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

For some reason i read Wakanda instead of Ganda.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Samsung lost my business a while ago when their project TV crapped out after about 3 months - got a new one, replacement, 12 months later same thing - same exact problem.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Obviously, judging from more than half the comments, saying "anything" was too drastic. The more appropriate wording, seeing as I'm on PCPartPicker, was to say SSD's. But to some, even this is too much.

So, with that said, anyone who reads my comments and thinks that Samsung's practices should be kept in check, go about it however you want.

To the rest, I was in no way trying to spit you having owned or was thinking about owning a Samsung product, rather just trying to raise awareness on an otherwise unknown problem. But I felt it needed to be said. I hope me relaying this to you has encouraged you to look deeper into matters that aren't readily apparent or looked into.

My comments were with the mindset that there is a bigger picture to all of this and that doing something is better than nothing. But apparently this topic is 50 years too early.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

May you please calm down sir? You are not “50 years too early” for much of anything.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Disclaimer: The following is a joke. Not all may find it funny, but please remember that I mean no offense by it.

But it's [insert current year] and bad people shouldn't exist!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol, I love the innocence of these people! :)

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I feel like human rights pushes it. I understand some things like minors working to provide for their families, but this pushes it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

your list is going to get very long, very fast

Yes, I agree that the number corporations that have committed or are committing egregious acts are high, but that just goes to show how far many are willing to go to break the law to increase their bottom-line. We have to hold corporations accountable or else they'll just keep conducting business as usual. In the end, its Earth's sustainability at stake, and right now we seem to be flushing it down the toilet.

I'm not telling you that you have to give up on Samsung (or any other company for that matter) forever, but just know that by buying their products, you are also supporting their endeavors. If we aren't able to change our buying habits to save what we have left of this Earth, then what does that say about us? This isn't meant as an attack at you or anyone, but I just wanted to enlighten everyone about the practices of a company that many PC enthusiasts have trusted for so long, and that maybe we shouldn't support their ideologies by buying their products.

I don't claim to have all of this figured out, but I'm doing what I can, and I encourage others to do the same.

Also, there are sites that create petitions against problems like these. If anyone feels that creating a spreadsheet of all the companies that have done something wrong is too hard, it's easy to make a difference just by inputting your name, email address, and ZIP (SumOfUs.org, Rainforest-rescue.org).

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Boycotts have never solved anything.

Well..... I wouldn't say never.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Martin Luther King Junior led many a boycotts in his day. I would say that is very noteworthy considering his stunning success.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I understand where you are coming from, and yes I know that people are ignorant and will just buy whatever they want. But they only buy it because

A. It serves a purpose for the intended use B. They assume that whatever they are buying is being sold to them without any conflicts attached to them C. They only care about how it affects their level of happiness and the momentary satisfaction it brings

But if you get people to understand that everything they buy has a price to the environment, and not just what market value is, then can you begin to convince people that what they are buying has a greater impact than what the eye can see. And before you say, "Well, who has the time to research where everything they buy comes from?". To that I say, more people than nobody. Corporations such as Dell and Intel (whether you hate them or not) are taking/ have taken steps to ensure that their products are conflict-free or less environmentally impactful. Something the consumer doesn't have to think about.

-Intel: conflict-free thermal interface material (TIM) -Dell: pledged to recycle all the gold in what otherwise would be e-waste, and turn it into jewelry

if it's easy, you're not actually making a difference

Did you even read the article? Paragraphs 4-7 clearly show how easy it was to convince Samsung to drop the joint venture with Korindo.

"2,000* Samsung customers sent emails to Samsung from their Samsung devices, over 10,000 people took action online, and nearly one million people viewed online ads* about Samsung’s connection to rainforest destruction (6)"

Most of the petition sites are one-click signs, and in the case that something needs to be a bit more personal, they more than likely provide talking points.

The reason nothing gets done is that not enough people are talking about these issues or sharing them! These issues will continue to persist unless enough people do something or change the way they go about doing things.

Three things that are easy, and can make a difference other than petitioning:

-Eat less red meat. A study from Oxford University) shows that if people in developed countries switched to a more plant-based diet (not getting rid of meat entirely) they could reduce "food-related greenhouse gas emissions by 29–70%" by 2050.

• Don't buy products with palm oil in them unless they are certified by Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) (It's labeled on Girl Scout cookies, and seems to be the only thing I've seen with it).

• Vote for people who support climate action

I practice those three religiously and I'm making a difference. Did I mention it was easy? It's all about choices my friend. You just have to know which ones to make. So, If you're not going to sign any of the petitions because it's too easy. then at least share them because I can guarantee that someone else will care (even if its your best-friend's friend). And if we get enough people to care, the companies will definitely care. They hate having a bad image. And you wonder why there is so much marketing and "hush-hush".

Boycotts have never solved anything.

Women's rights?... American civil rights movement?...

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Well the outreach seems to have worked in at least one instance here, since the point of the article is that Samsung decided not to do business with Korindo, which was the original focus of this campaign. Public pressure can make a difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube