add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 8400 for streaming.

TheIbbyTron

13 months ago

Will this CPU be able to handle streaming at 720p 60fps?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what is being used to handle the encoding.

If the CPU is being used it will heavily depend on how much CPU performance the title being streamed needs and how high of a quality setting you are using.

If you are using the integrated encoder on the graphics card the workload handled by the CPU is minimal and it will handle it fine.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a very tough call..... I don't think it will work. I'll see if I still want to stream in the future and I'll take it from there.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use the encoding option on any modern GPU it isn't an issue but you do not get as high a compression so you need more upload bandwidth.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Right that won't be ideal since my internet connection isn't as stable as I'd like.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

They why not just look at a 1600-2600X? Thats a really good streaming CPU for a budget. What games are you even trying to stream? Because a i5-8400 can stream just fine unless you are going to stream very CPU intensive titles AKA PUBG.

Like Gilroar said, It's really dependent on game, quality and resolution. Like say you plan to stream Battlefield 1 at ultra with 200 fps limt. Well, your CPU will be near 100%. If you turn the FPS limit down to say 60fps then your CPU will drop to near half in use.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I was mainly thinking rocket League. I've just heard Intel performs better with high refresh rates. I'm planning to play most games at 144fps.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

PUBG is actually very easy to stream CPU wise even something like DOTA 2 is harder to keep frames from dropping.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3288-amd-r5-2600-2600x-review-stream-benchmarks-gaming-blender/page-2

1600/1600X/2600/2600X you really are only able to use lower quality settings so there really isn't as much a gain over using something like ReLive or Shadowplay which doesn't impact the CPU very much at all. And oddly they take a give or take a few percent 30% performance hit for multi-tasking in this fashion so outright performance isn't as expected.

There has been a ton of hype being thrown around about how good Ryzen is in comparison to Intel but when you push into medium settings and you are only encoding a quarter of the frames it is more a case of it is better then something terrible but that doesn't make it very good.

Part that makes it worse is the poor internet which really would push for a separate streaming rig/encoding rig or a very high end CPU to handle compression settings.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Streaming is rather intensive. I'd recommend an i7 or ryzen 7

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. Thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube