• Log In
  • Register

What to do?

Forum Search


  • Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed


Equaus 8 months ago

I'm a little far from my room with a signal of about 2-3 bars , I'm planning on building a pc soon so should I get a wifi extender and connect an Ethernet cable to my pc or should I get a wireless adapter or whatever is the best option?

Comments Sorted by:

Rin_Itoh 2 points 8 months ago

Ideally a wired connection is best. Although that may not be possible. I would recommend a PCIe based wireless solution with an antenna that is external so you can position it for the best signal. It will also depend on your internet speed, if you are paying for say 15mbps download speeds it won't be a huge difference, the problem will be with latency. If you can tell me a bit about your home networking setup then I can help more.

Equaus submitter 1 point 8 months ago

Sure, I'm about 1m away from the router (not including wall intercept) with walls intersecting the signal which results in about 2-3 bars. The wifi speed should be about 200 mbps down and 20 up but atm we are receiving about 40ish down and 20 up (will fix soon hopefully). Apart from that I'm not to sure.

Rin_Itoh 2 points 8 months ago

Would it be possible to move the position of the router? Are you using the ISP router or your own?

Equaus submitter 1 point 8 months ago

ISP which is connected to the fiber box so I don't think I can relocate it.

Rin_Itoh 2 points 8 months ago

Powerline is an option, however I would also get some cheap switches to put on either end of the powerline adapters. Since it uses the high voltage wiring in the wall that high voltage can affect the adapters or things connected to the adapters if a power surge were to hit.