• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tobiaspl 9 days ago

Hi all,

New to this website but really like the builds / community so far i've seen! I'm not a native English speaker so sorry in advance for any bad spelling/grammar.

I would like to present my (concept) build, haven't ordered it yet and am really looking forward to your opinions!

What will I use it for?

I will use the PC mainly for 4K video editing (GH5 4k60p footage, Mavic Pro footage). I will most likely purchase the announced Atomos Ninja V and will then switch my footage to 4K60p 10bit DNxHR. Besides the video editing I will use it for day to day productivity and some gaming.

CPU

Been doubting a lot between this CPU and the i7-7820x. Decided on this CPU since the 1151 socket makes it a bit cheaper and the performance is about the same. Basically a better "bang for buck".

Motherboard

This motherboard gives me all the slots I need (2x SSD + 1x HDD etc) and has build-in WiFi and bluetooth connectivity. Not the cheapest option but haven't seen that many cheaper options that give me all I want/need.

Memory

Decided on 32GB 3000mhz RAM. Think this should be sufficient for my needs. Might upgrade later if needed.

Storage

I've chosen to go with 2x SSD. The 250gb is basically used for my OS and Adobe suite. The 1TB will be used for footage, project files etc etc. Also some games will be installed on the 1TB. The 8TB disk will be used for storage of the files I'm currently not using in any projects.

GPU

For my GPU i decided on the Zotac GTX 1080 AMP Extreme! Have been doing some research on which 1080 GPU to buy, since there are so many to choose from. This ones seems to give me the best "bang for buck". If you guys disagree I would love to hear your opinion.

Case & power supply

The case and power supply simply give me what I need. I'm not looking for some crazy RGB windowed case or anything. The case looks nice, seems to be pretty quiet etc.

Monitor

I'm still in crazy doubt about this monitor. The 21:9 seems to be really interesting and practical for my video editing (lots of screen real estate) in Premiere Pro. Also seems nice for gaming and day-to-day productivity stuff. The downsides (besides price) I've read about are distortion of footage while editing and not full 4K resolution. I really like the fact it is a 10bit panel with real good color accuracy.

Not sure if these downsides are really dealbreakers for me. I'm really looking for advice on this one.

Would really like to hear you guys' opinion on this build. Is it overkill? Are some parts better to be upgraded or exchanged for other parts? Has been a while since I last build a PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU *Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $347.00 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler *be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard *Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $188.56 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $350.00
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $114.84 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $421.15 @ Newegg Marketplace
Storage Seagate - IronWolf 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $233.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card $695.00
Case be quiet! - Silent Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.90 @ Newegg Marketplace
Power Supply be quiet! - Straight Power 11 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $100.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $127.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor Dell - U3818DW 38.0" 3840x1600 60Hz Monitor $958.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3741.31
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $3731.31
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-13 14:21 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

Rin_Itoh 1 point 9 days ago

So at 4k most Adobe programs can take advantage of lots of cores. I am having trouble coming up with a solid reason other than the more cores to go with Ryzen. I would say stick with that CPU. For the board I would say choose the parts you can't live without (wireless, bluetooth, etc. ) and then just choose the cheapest board from a reputable brand. You might be able to save some money there. RAM is fine. Some people will disagree strongly with me on what I am about to suggest on the drives, but I'll explain myself and leave it up you which way you want to go. I think the SSDs for working projects is good. The HDD for inactive projects is good as well. I would at the minimum throw in another 8TB drive and run the two HDD in RAID to make sure you have a back up of your projects. Ideally something like a NAS, or external backup would be best, but I don't know your computer knowledge so at least do RAID. I would also go from a 550W PSU to something closer to a 750-850W PSU. This will allow you to add more drives and other things in the future. It can also help with noise if it is not being hit hard enough for the fan to turn on, as well as helping with efficiency. As for the monitor I can't really help all that much since I don't do any sort of video/ photo editing. I would say after you are satisfied with the responses here take just the monitor question into the monitor section of the forum.

tobiaspl submitter 1 point 9 days ago

Thanks a lot for your advice! Regarding the board, with the thinks I can't live without this is about the cheapest board I can find.

Regarding the extra 8TB drive in raid, I already have a NAS in my house with 2x10TB in raid. If I need more i'll add another 10tb to that in RAID 5. The 8TB in my computer is basically already an "extra" backup.

ProbablyProdigy 2 Builds 1 point 9 days ago

I think you did a pretty stellar job picking parts out.

Questions:

Why the Straight Power 11 PSU?

Why W10 Pro?

Suggestions:

Again, you did an excellent job with picking out parts but I do have a couple of suggestions,

• I would swap the 1TB NVME drive for a 1TB SATA SSD for half the cost but at the same time, increase the 250GB NVME to 500GB. If you had a 500GB NVME for editing, that would be more than enough for transfering the 4K files around quickly. 500GB NVME M.2 + 1TB SATA SSD + 8TB HDD.

• You state that this will be used for some gaming. If gaming isn't the priority, do you need the 1080? I know you probably want to play games in 4K since you'll have the monitor but as long as you aren't purchasing the 1080 for video editing alone because you definitely wouldn't need that much GPU for your editing needs.

To answer your question about the monitor:

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to monitors but you state the monitor isn't true 4K and that's because it isn't. 4K has a native resolution of 3840 x 2160 while that Dell monitor is 3840 x 1600 so it isn't quite true 4K to begin with. A true 4K ultrawide will run you a ton of money.

Meanwhile, if you want regular 4K 60hz panels, these are good ones to look at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JhkwrH/lg-monitor-27ud68w

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xn3RsY/samsung-monitor-u28d590d

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r9h9TW/asus-monitor-pb287q

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jFTrxr/dell-monitor-p2715q

Thanks for the reply!

The straight power 11 PSU was a suggestion from someone else. Reading your comment and Rin_Itoh's I guess I should go for something like 750-850W?

I like your idea for the harddisk, just a few questions: - I picked 2x NVMe seperate SSD's so that 1 is for OS and Adobe apps and 1 is for footage. 2 SSD's to "cache" from. This way I might as well just take 1x NVMe SSD right? - At this moment I have about 350GB of footage in current projects on my SSD, that is without OS, Adobe apps etc.

Regarding the displays, I'm really lost at the moment. Really like the ultrawide look etc, also really like the screen real estate for premiere pro (and I think it's OK for gaming as well). But the True 4K is holding me back. Then again 2x 16:9 monitors give me the "ugly" bezel seperation between screens. Otherwise I would buy 2x24" or something.

I currently work with a 27" 16:9 4K screen (Dell XPS One) and I'd really like something bigger.

Javild27 1 point 9 days ago

This will be better, I changed the cooler to an AIO, changed the Motherboard to a better model of that one, changed the 250GB M.2 to 500GB 970 Evo, replaced the 1TB M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD, U changed the PSU to a better one and changed the monitor, I don’t know much about monitors but I know that for editing 4K it is better to have the closest resolution to 4K as possible, this is a larger monitor

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $347.00 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $107.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $209.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $350.00
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $196.01 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $248.01 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - IronWolf 8TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $233.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card $695.00
Case be quiet! - Silent Base 600 w/Window (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.90 @ Newegg Marketplace
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $127.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor LG - 43UD79-B 42.5" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor $649.00 @ Newegg Marketplace
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3404.56
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $3354.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-14 15:55 EDT-0400

Thanks Javild!

A few questions I have regarding your build.

• You changed the cooler to a liquid cooler. No experience with liquid cooling at all. Could you elaborate?
  • The Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 is about €100,00 more expensive where I live. Is it worth the €100,00 extra?
  • Won't I notice a difference in speed for the caching of footage i'm editing with a "normal" 860 series SSD?
Javild27 1 point 9 days ago

Oh, sorry, In the US it is only $10 more, get the one you wanted, you might notice a difference, but it is still fast as it is an SSD, the liquid cooler already comes ready to use, you just install the heatsink on top of the CPU like a normal fan cooler and then mount the radiator wherever you want