add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How good will this be for gaming?

IamNotGoodWithUsernames

19 months ago

I will be building my first gaming PC soon here's my current parts list my list. I plan on doing 1080p gaming high/ultra settings 60fps on basically all kinds of games ranging from graphically intensive AAA games to more hardware friendly E-sports titles. I will be upgrading this PC in the future in nearly all categories but i want to know how good is it currently for mostly gaming but future productivity. I am looking to be around the $825 range for my PC parts and using an extra $75 to $100 on headphones. All other peripherals are taken care of.

My main question is, will this give me the most performance to dollar without having to drastically drop FPS or Graphic Settings right now?

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get a current gen ryzen cpu rather than the old 1st gen, and increase ram speed to atleast 2666 or 2933 you could go up to 3200, other than that everything looks good.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

How much better are the current gen ryzen CPU's compared to the 1st gen? If i can find a decent deal on RAM ill try to increase the speed, but that will most likely be one of the first things i upgrade once RAM prices drop to a reasonable price.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

They are slightly better not a whole lot but they have better power consumption and better for future proofing. Ram speeds affects ryzen very much, 2400 wont give you the whole cpu potential but its your choice.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I will keep that in mind, i have heard ryzens benefit more from faster RAM, but ill probably have to do more deal searching in order to stay within my price range. If i can get a good deal on a second gen ill go for it but the CPU will also be upgraded down the road.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The second gen has the same price if im not mistaken, and for speeds i have 2666Mhz and i am regretting not getting 3200 :(

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Its about $10 more for a second gen but since July is coming up i can hopefully get some good sales and save a bit. I have a some what fixed budget and i want to be as close to it as possible.

Also i think you would benefit more from dual channel RAM rather than 3200, because 2666 is still decent middle of the road.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

For a gaming only rig with plenty of juice in the bag for productivity, go with intel. The current gen intel i5-8400 (6 cores) performs much better than Ryzen 1600. You can certainly expect greater FPS performance as intel single cores are clocked higher and offer faster processing speeds for gaming.

For $10 more, go with MX500 SSD - one of the best on the market for performance and build quality. More importantly, long term reliability!

Swapped out the GPU for a higher clocked card, adding more in-game performance and with a large heatsink and 2 fans you can certainly expect better thermals and headroom for OCing. Those single fan GPUs tend to run a little loud too.

2400Mhz RAM with intel chips works beautifully for gaming and productivity. Unlike intel, Ryzen demands more lower latency and faster RAM modules (AMD recommends 3000-3200Mhz) hence will cost more.

Swapped the PSU to a more current, high quality and extremely reliable unit with best protection features and state of the art mechanisms. Power efficiency margins are much more realistic opposed to the Evo Edition.

What about a second storage drive? 250GB is sufficient for storing the operating system and all applications. SSDs run at optimal performance with sufficient free-capacities (10-15%) hence not ideal for storing games. Maybe pick up a $40 1TB 7200rpm HD?

CASE: well that depends on your budget. The one listed below is a fantastic budget case with plenty of airflow and all the usual bells and whistles. Although, if you can extend that budget a little more, the S340 (or S340 Elite) would offer better quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor $178.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B360 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $85.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Adorama
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $289.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $24.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $879.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-22 18:00 EDT-0400
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm impressed with your list,i will certainly look into it. I probably should've stated this before, that i will be using an old 900GB hard drive as my main storage drive. The case looks good and all but superbiiz tends to charge alot in shipping not to mention of their reputation for taking forever to ship. I had a friend who bought a NZXT H440 from superbiiz because it was listed for 79.99 but ended up paying 30 or 40 in shipping ( although i think he bought some sort of premium shipping ). As for the video card, im wondering if it would be worth the price to performance, the main reason why i choose the EVGA superclocked is because of how cheap it is.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

900GB storage looks good!

You can stick with the single fan cheaper GPU which will perform great. For $40 dollar more, you get a larger heatsink and 2 fans to keep those temps a little cooler + the card clocks 0.07Ghz more at stock and offers better headroom for overclocking which may add anywhere from 4-10 fps more depending on the type of game + better fan noise levels as the single fan GPU tends to run a little loud. These are not huge factors which should sway your decision but just added benefits in its minimal form and bottoms out to whether those marginal benefits are worth your money (in other words: personal choice). Your initial selection is a solid card and performs very well as intended so both options will suffice nicely.

OPTIONAL changes made:

• If you don't mind the micro ATX form factor, i switched up the mobo and case. Another case alternative, if you don't mind the optical drive bays and the absence of a PSU shroud: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vPp323/fractal-design-focus-g-mini-black-microatx-mini-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-mini-bk-w.

• Swapped the GPU to your initial selection, if you prefer the OC'd one, refer to be previous list and add back on current list.

• SSD changed to M.2 (same price). These simply plug into the motherboard without power and SATA cables. Very convenient when working with micro cases!

• Threw superbiiz in the delivery bin lol

Feel free to ask any questions. If you prefer full ATX boards...no problem, we can amend in a jiffy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor $178.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $19.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $69.85 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card $249.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case $48.49 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $65.91 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $851.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-22 20:08 EDT-0400
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i currently have a pre built from dell and the only good part about it is the storage ( and windows 10 ) im pretty sure its rated at 7200rpm but boot times still take forever. I had been considering M.2 SSD's because i heard they are faster but if that's the case i might wait and buy a 1TB or a higher one in the future and use the 250GB 2.5in drive now ( one of the reasons why i went for ADATA was because of its cloning tool ) When it comes to Micro ATX mobos and cases they dont seem to have much GPU upgradability past the 1060, if this is not the case correct me, but i might buy the next gen whatever nvidia calls it next cards ( although if AMD makes a GPU that is more powerful than the mid range nvidia cards next generation i might consider it too ). I dont need the portability of micro atx builds and i would be willing to spend more upfront if i get more out of my money ( in atx mobos ).

Also one question how is the i5 8400 better than the ryzen 5 1600 or 2600? I mean ryzens have multi threading ( which wouldn't help for gaming but will for productivity ) and have a higher base clocks of 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz respectively and can be OC'ed with just the stock coolers. Where as the i5 8400GHz is locked at 2.8? Im just wondering. Do you have an intel or ryzen system yourself? Do you know the real differences between the two because iv'e only had intel's my whole life and they've only been lower end ones.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

M.2 SATA SSDs are basically 2.5" SATA SSDs in smaller form factor. The faster M.2 SSDs are NVME PCIE X4 sticks. I don't recommend NVME for a gaming or general productivity rig as those speeds don't benefit. On windows boot up you might get 1-2 seconds faster load ups and thats about it. If your workload consists of heavy sequential read and write speeds thats where you will benefit.

Adata SSDs are mid-tier performance modules whereas MX500 and 860 EVO perform at top level and remain very consistent with build quality. There are many cloning applications available! Ideally I would stick with a SATA SSD and run windows fresh out of the box for optimal performance. Place all applications on the SSD too. Run all games and save other data (files/images/videos/etc) on the HD. Gaming performance is not affected whether its on SSD or HD hence the HD would be more than sufficient.

About GPU compatibility on Micro-mobos, you have absolutely ZERO compatibility issues with upgrading your card to a 1080 TI or any newer models expected to release in future. it boils down to the case used. You have smaller micro cases (HPTC) which don't offer room to plant a larger GPU. The case selected in the above list does not have those restrictions as it's a Micro ATX.

The clock speeds measured in Ghz don't actually determine CPU speeds in real-time performance. The tech or device fabrication (CPU) is where real speeds and latency controls are put into effect. For example, you could pick up a cheaper 4.8Ghz intel chip from 2 years ago and compare it with todays 14nm (nanometer) 2.8Ghz chip and the 2.8Ghz (turbo 3.8Ghz) will perform much faster and more efficiently. Hence the technology and build quality is where real performance is measured opposed to marketing techniques which amplify and focus more on frequency speeds. Between the current Ryzen and Intel, the difference isn't HUGEEE, but if you prefer better gaming FPS, the intel chip will offer more. (Eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI8UxxFiIcQ)

Where Ryzen beats intel is rendering times!! Games and general productivity would work better on intel 6 cores with faster single core throughput. Most games are best optimised for intels quad speeds and new games are making use of 6-cores which the i5 delivers very nicely. Speaking about rendering, if you are someone looking to stream high quality video content as well as gaming, or plan on video editing, rendering, encoding, modelling, etc etc....this is where the Ryzens added cores and hyperthreading kicks in nicely. Basically, the difference being, such workstation type workloads would benefit with faster rendering times hence the Ryzen would be the better option for such purposes.

I have 4 personal machines, 2 at home and 2 in the office.

1. Home: (intel) for solid gaming, heavy image editing and general productivity (my personal rig)
  2. Home: (Ryzen) video editing, home server for 4k streams and running IP cameras
  3. Office: (Ryzen) batch image/video editing/rendering, etc etc
  4. Office: (intel) mid-tier performing build for running basic office tasks
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Im assuming the m.2 slot you mentioned before was a SATA m.2 SSD i think this is what you were referencing earlier. I will keep the NVME m.2 info in mind, i bet the SATA SSD's should be fast enough for general use. ( it currently takes around 3 minutes to load windows ) I understand that for games/other bulky items dont have better performance when you upgrade drives but the load times are usually exponentially faster depending on how fast the SSD is. ( i will have to put all of my videos/images/music/games etc on the HDD because it has the most storage )

When it comes to micro ATX mobos and cases will RAM slots and or RAM with tall heatsinks be an issue?

I saw the video and they seem to test it with reasonable hardware, not the typical 1080ti with 32gb of ram ( i don't think either of these CPU's would be a bottleneck for a 1080ti ) and the i5 8400 was on average around 10FPS faster on most of the games. But im wondering if the high CPU usage is because of the recording software as the video shows the i5 was above 80% usage on most of the games shown and wondering if this would be a problem because i do like the occasional multitasking, will this CPU be an issue if i want to have more than say just a game or just a single adobe or other productivity program running at once?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube