• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Xorrh 2 months ago

i have an 17 6700k GA-z170 Mobo and im trying to push it to 4.5 at 1.325 volts. are these configures safe? should i nudge the volts up? down?

Comments Sorted by:

Shakaron 4 Builds 4 points 2 months ago

First of all, if you don't know that your CPU is an i7-6700K, not a 17-6700K, you should not overclock.

Second, overclocking is not about setting values that others told you to set. At least, it does not lead to a necessarily stable overlocking. After you've done your tweaking, you should run CPU stress tests, like AIDA64's stability test or Prime95 or other softweares.

And even if those do not make your PC crash, you cannot be sure that it won't crash during other applications.

Is 1.325 V safe? Sure, you can go up until about 1.5 V before your motherboard would say that you're in a red zone, where voltage increments may be not the things you want to do. But you can ignore it an push a bit more. :)

Also, the cooling is an important factor.

What cooler do you have for the CPU?

Xorrh submitter 1 point 2 months ago

i have the hypere 212 evo. i belive

Edition1 3 points 2 months ago

This comment might be a bit late, but like Shakaron said, overclocking is not about settings values that others have given you. Each CPU is different and what works well for one CPU may not work well at all for another.

Do not touch the voltages first, start by leaving the voltage alone but upping the clock speed incrementally by say 50mhz / 0.05ghz or 0.1ghz at a time and after each increase, run a 10 minute stress test to see if it's stable.

If it's stable, keep increasing the clock speed a little. If it isn't stable, that's when you increase the voltage, but only a little (about 0.025 volts). After you increased the voltage a little, repeat the steps each time then when you think you've settled on a nice overclock run an intense stress test for about 2 hours.

Also take note of your CPU temperatures. You generally don't want your CPU to be above 90C and the lower the better. Lowering voltages leads to lower temperatures, and higher voltage leads to higher temperatures.

hellfire19981 1 point 2 months ago

every chip is semi-unique. i had an i7-6820HK processor. I wanted it to be working at 4.5Ghz. I did get it there, but only at about 1.55v! needless to say, this was making me a little nervous heat wise, so thats why I went back to a "typical" 4.2Ghz OC.

so at 1.55v you had high temps? what are the temps range. i get mixed reviews on it. for me Idle is around 30-45 C while gaming/gaming and streaming there are about 50-70 C

hellfire19981 2 points 2 months ago

well, that was my last laptop (actually 2 ago), but as I recall putting it under prime95 for 5 minutes would produce 94 C, which is just plain too hot for me.

[comment deleted]

so XMP is like a (Boost) to the OC?

Morgan123 2 points 2 months ago

The video's are for reference only.

If you overclock too far, the system will become unstable, crash, and BSOD.

As for the XMP. Your RAM may not run at the advertised speed. Many motherboards don’t recognize the right CAS latency or frequency of RAM. This issue exists on Intel motherboards and can easily be resolved by enabling XMP in your motherboard’s UEFI (or BIOS) settings.

Boost frequencies to the maximum frequency, causes the silicon on your CPU to age faster, thus sorting it's life expectancy.

Hope this helps.