• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

TeamKHK 4 months ago

Evening all,

I built my new small form factor rig a few weeks ago, all has been going swimmingly well - however I've noticed that the CPU temps are a little high for my liking (40c idle which is normal - but reaches as high as 84c when gaming). My rig consists off the Silverstone SG13B (solid front, non mesh), i5-8400, Cryorig C7, 1060 Mini & no front case fan. I've done cable management the best I can and I have a lot of free space towards the front of the case taking into account it's SFF configuration.

I originally went down the air route for cooling and chose the Cryorig C7 as I've owned Cryorig coolers in the past with other builds and been really happy with them, however this time around I'm left somewhat disappointed. I have also removed the cooler twice since building it as the original paste I used was Cryorig's own and then changed to Kyronaut as it's my preferred one and this made very little difference so I've ironed out in the event it could of been a poor paste job.

Moving forward, I've been looking into going down the 120mm AIO route but kind of torn between if it will be worth it and whether I will really notice a difference in temps. I've been looking at Corsair's range such as the H60 and I've read some positive reviews online, but I just want to see if anyone else on here has experienced the following or supply any further input into this?

Many thanks.

Comments Sorted by:

Edition1 1 point 4 months ago

You could try undervolting the CPU and see how that works. Do a stress test after. Try lowering 0.01v at a time.

TeamKHK submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

I don't think I can as I'm running a B360 board with my 8400 non K, but I'll look into this option as well. Thanks.

Edition1 1 point 4 months ago

I read that you can still undervolt on a B360 motherboard. I know you can't overclock but I think you are able to undervolt in the BIOS.

Great, I'll certainly look into this. Thanks again.

mark5916 1 point 4 months ago

Does that Case come with a plastic or mesh front panel?

Either way, i would install a 140mm front fan with high CFM airflow.

Similar build...

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/nFdXsY

The case comes in both variants - plastic & mesh, I'm running the plastic. I have also looked into a front case fan, but was not entirely convinced it would work as there is no compatibility for a rear case fan on these to act as an exhaust.

mark5916 1 point 4 months ago

First off, keep in mind the C7 is not the best low profile air cooler.

It's good enough, but on very small Cases inside temps are raising fast.

Secondly, a front fan could reduce the temps a bit, especially with an mesh front panel.

The Case has a lot of open vents. On the left side there is the GPU, so that's a no go.

On the top there is the SFX PSU and that bracket across the top that holds the drives.

So, that's a no go either.

However, there is a small vent on the right side of the Case.

https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/959/images/Image_01S.jpg

Pushing fresh air from an 140mm front intake fan, would make that vent running as an passive exhaust.

https://imgur.com/a/jpgUjHv

And lastly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for going with an blower style GPU on this one.

Root_User 1 point 4 months ago

Unfortunately, the layout of the SG13 has the PSU mounted just over the motherboard, reducing clearance for good CPU coolers and potentially restricting airflow to the ones which you can install. On top of that, you have a compact 1060, with its relatively limited heatsink and single fan, directing much of its hot exhaust towards the CPU.

However, 84C max core temperatures under load aren't horrible. If you just want to bring temperatures down for the sake of doing so, that's fine too. As mark5916 mentioned, improving chassis airflow with a quality front intake fan could help.

If you really wish to bring down temperatures without increasing noise, I'd consider a different case option. Depending on what you can afford in terms of money and space, some options may include the Kolink Satellite/Satellite Plus, Fractal Design Node 304 and Core 500. All of those move the PSU to the front, and can thus accommodate much larger CPU coolers than the SG13 can. The latter two Fractal Design options, while quite a bit larger than the SG13, can even accommodate the Noctua D15, which would generally be considered excessive for a locked i5, but would certainly allow for much lower temperatures. A Cryorig M9i or H7 would be more appropriate, though, and still do much better than a C7 cramped under the PSU in the SG13.

It all depends on your personal preferences for noise and temperatures. I happen to be fine with merely avoiding throttling temperatures, and have an FX-4350 running on its stock cooler (slightly muffled by my Corsair 400Q case).